Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gnome 3.8 to get a classic mode

Beans

Re: Gnome 3.8 to get a classic mode

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Absolutely not. The Ubuntu GNOME Remix is for people that like what GNOME is doing.
    This is one of the reasons I love ubuntu gnome and Jeremy. Follow gnome completely/truthfully (Remember, our initial goal is to attract gnome developers?). This is also the reason that give me the feel/confidence that I might continue using ubuntu gnome for a long time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    This is one of the reasons I love ubuntu gnome and Jeremy. Follow gnome completely/truthfully (Remember, our initial goal is to attract gnome developers?). This is also the reason that give me the feel/confidence that I might continue using ubuntu gnome for a long time.
    Yeah, I'd prefer to see all of the "flavors" stay as close as possible to upstream. That means keep Lubuntu as close as possible to LXDE, Xubuntu as close as possible to Xfce, etc, etc. Of course that means not breaking anything for Ubuntu itself which I'm sure is incredibly challenging.

The biggest challenge for me ATM is deciding which DE I truly prefer. I feel like a kid in a candy store

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I totally agree. The Mint gang seems to have a desire to put their stamp on everything instead of working-with. Why fork Gnome 2 into MATE? Why not work on the Fallback (or Classic) mode for Gnome 3? Why not offer a package of nicely crafted Gnome Shell extensions instead of Cinnamon? Was there a reason to fork Gnome Shell instead?

Oh well, that's just how it is in the Free Software world. Egos sometimes get in the way of cooperation. I guess that's just how it is in the world, period.
    They tried offering gnome-shell extensions instead of cinnamon at first. Extensions weren't powerful/flexible enough to do what they wanted. Cinnamon was a reasonably sensible fork, unlike MATE.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I didn't realize there was so much intolerance and hate towards the MATE DE in these forums, I apologize for my suggestion.

I hope You'll all play nice now and stay on topic.
    ( but honestly I couldn't care less )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I didn't realize there was so much intolerance and hate towards the MATE DE in these forums, I apologize for my suggestion.

I hope You'll all play nice now and stay on topic.
    ( but honestly I couldn't care less )
    I just have doubts about the security of using old Gnome 2 forked apps in a newer Gnome distro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12