Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Dell Inspiron One 2330 CMOS Setup / Boot Menu

Yannbuntu:
    2) "Legacy" screen - "LEGACY BOOT: Hard Disk :ST5000M002"
    This has never worked, BECAUSE when I installed Ubuntu in Legacy mode (and when playing w/ boot-repair afterwards), I was careful NOT to allow it to install GRUB to the MBR, since I wasn't certain that it wouldn't mess up UEFI booting and make Windows and Dell's utilities inaccessible.

What DOES work from this mode (and this mode only) is legacy-booting the LiveCD (disc or USB).

4) "UEFI Mode (Non-secure)" screen - "LEGACY BOOT: Hard Disk :ST5000M002"
    Trying to legacy boot anything* from UEFI on this machine always fails to find anything bootable.

*I've only tried the Ubuntu LiveCD media and a couple of other older Linux LiveCDs. The hard drive doesn't work either, but that's expected because of consciously NOT setting up MBR boot, as mentioned above in (2).

3) "Legacy" screen - "UEFI BOOT: UEFI ST5000M002"
    5) "UEFI Mode (Non-secure)" screen - "UEFI BOOT: UEFI ST5000M002"
    6) "UEFI Mode (Non-secure)" screen - "UEFI BOOT: UEFI ST5000M002"
    All 3 of these have behaved the same so far:

AFTER upgrading Boot-repair & trying out its new Secure Boot option:
    Fails to find anything to boot on the hard drive.

BEFORE upgrading Boot-repair, or, now, after the upgrade but using ubuntu/bootx64.efi in Boot/ instead of shimx64.efi:
    All 3 load UEFI GRUB; all 3 die after selecting any Linux option (I can still boot Windows 8 through GRUB in any of the 3 modes).

NOW...
    For testing & temporary use, I was originally hoping to use Boot-Repair to add an option to the USB LiveCD to allow it to transfer control to the Linux partition on the hard drive, but Boot-Repair doesn't appear to have that option; the USB drive may only boot a partition on the USB drive. My GRUB/LILO skills have rotted for a decade, so I was lost as to how to manually add such an option to the menu, or even to type in a temporary paragraph to boot sda8 once I got into USB's GRUB.

Should I try to install GRUB to the MBR on the hard drive? I'm new to EFI, but I seem to remember that you can have a hybrid GPT/MBR that can support both modes, but I wasn't sure if Boot-Repair would do that or if it would wipe out something such that I'd never be able to boot Windows again or what. I suppose that since the bulk of the stuff for EFI booting is in sda1 that even were I to completely wipe out the MBR including partition tables, I would have some chance of running a utility to find the partitions and rescue the drive...

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    quick boot or fast boot
    I poked around everywhere in there as soon as I turned the machine on, and I didn't see anything like that. This machine lacks quite a few "classic" CMOS Setup options.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330

If Windows 8 boots from grub menu that is saying you are booting thru grub and the issue is with drivers after grub efi has worked. Often then kernel parameters are required for some systems.

From the grub menu can you use e and delete splash quiet, or use advanced options and boot in recovery mode?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

If Windows 8 boots from grub menu that is saying you are booting thru grub
    Yes, indeed.
    and the issue is with drivers after grub efi has worked.
    Yes, though I think I personally prefer the more generic term "code" since we know so little about exactly where the problem is at tha point. I don't think it's getting very far into loading of the kernel. There is absolutely no text output before it dies.

From the grub menu can you use e and delete splash quiet,
    Nope, no good.
    or use advanced options and boot in recovery mode?
    No. I'm sure I haven't tried all possible parameters, but I have yet to find anything that makes any sense that makes any difference at all. Any suggestions? (other than deleting spalsh/quiet) -- anything to make more verbose logging at the very beginning, or any idea how else to get a clue as to how far it's actually getting? (I'm picturing a device that goes in front of the actual hard drive to log what sectors are read...sign of a desperate mind)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Post a picture of your grub menu. OR are you only booting Windows from the UEFI menu? From UEFI are you choosing ubuntu?

You should be able to choose the second menu item or recovery mode.

Do you have a launch UEFI shell menu item?

If you do not have a shell menu you can add one Info & links:
    Launch EFI Shell from File System Device
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ace#UEFI_Shell
    Last edited by oldfred; November 29th, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

I'm booting Windows through GRUB. (As far as I have been able to tell, this machine has no UEFI menu -- it always boots sda1:/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi with no way to change it.)

Menu title/contents:
    GNU GRUB version 2.00-7ubuntu11
    • Ubuntu
    • Advanced Options for Ubuntu
    • Windows UEFI loader
    • Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi

I lied when I said earlier that Advanced Options got me nothing -- I was mis-remembering when I'd tried it earlier. Recovery Mode does give additional intelligence before it dies.
    Both options:
    • Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-18-generic
    • Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-18-generic (recovery mode)
    display:
    Loading Linux 3.5.0-18-generic ...
    Loading initial ramdisk ...
    Sorry, I shall be more careful in my assertions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Re: No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330

Just to be sure:
    - currently, you cannot boot your installed Ubuntu at all?
    - the only way you can access an Ubuntu session is to boot the LiveCD (disc or USB) in Legacy mode, which means that before accessing Ubuntu you always see the "Try Ubuntu" menu below?

or

?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have grub menu you should be able to press e on Linux entry and see your boot stanza. Then on linux line remove quiet splash and/or add other boot options which in your case are probably required to get past the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Just to be sure:
    - currently, you cannot boot your installed Ubuntu at all?
    - the only way you can access an Ubuntu session is to boot the LiveCD (disc or USB) in Legacy mode, which means that before accessing Ubuntu you always see the "Try Ubuntu" menu below?
    Correct! -- though with the additional note that I haven't seriously tried to boot the hard drive in Legacy mode, i.e. I didn't install GRUB to the MBR (for fear that it would mess up EFI booting). I'm pretty sure that it would work, since it does for the LiveCD, but I've focused on trying to find the problem with the UEFI boot.

If you have grub menu you should be able to press e on Linux entry and see your boot stanza. Then on linux line remove quiet splash
    which is the very first thing I did when I saw it freeze for the first time. "Recovery mode" also does away with those two options.

COMPARISON OF GRUB MENU'S BOOT OPTIONS

I'll call them:
    • Ubuntu
    • Advanced
    • Recovery
    (the last two being under the "advanced options" submenu)

Advanced is the same as the default Ubuntu except for the addition of informational displays ("echo") before the two commands that actually do the deed:
    echo 'Loading Linux 3.5.0-17-generic ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic root=UUID=9b6d6c36-e799-4071-97a9-6a79e0b957a2 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
    echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic
    Recovery differs from Advanced only in the parameters:
    Advanced:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic root=UUID=9b6d6c36-e799-4071-97a9-6a79e0b957a2 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
    Recovery Mode:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic root=UUID=9b6d6c36-e799-4071-97a9-6a79e0b957a2 ro recovery nomodeset
    So the parameters are pretty much mutually exclusive between these two options.

Reminder: full text of grub config @ http://paste.ubuntu.com/1384377/
    Last edited by cboling; November 29th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cboling View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it would work, since it does for the LiveCD, but I've focused on trying to find the problem with the UEFI boot.
    That's clever. This way, there will be no mistake: if you can boot the installed Ubuntu, it will be in UEFI mode for sure.

-both you want to boot the installed Ubuntu in UEFI mode, so you have to setup the installed Ubuntu in UEFI mode.
    - Boot-Repair allows to setup your installed Ubuntu either in simple UEFI mode, or in UEFI+SecureBoot mode.

You wrote you can boot Windows via this menu:
    Code:
        Ubuntu
        Advanced Options for Ubuntu
        Windows UEFI loader
        Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi
    Do you see this menu when SecureBoot is enabled or disabled or both ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Do you see this menu when SecureBoot is enabled or disabled or both ?
    Both. Neither GRUB nor Windows have a problem with either mode.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast