Thread: mounting network share

Beans

mounting network share

I am using this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently article to set-up a share on my machine.

If I attempt to mount using sudo mount -a I receive an error of

mount error: could not resolve address for xp2: Unknown error

This happens if I attempt with the credentials directly in the fstab line or using a file to hold the Windows username and password.

If I use the IP of XP2 in the fstab, I get the following message if I attempt to mount

mount error(13): Permission denied

yet, if I do smbclient -L XP2 -Udaniel I get a listing of all the shares under XP2. Same if I use XP2's IP address. This is My fstab entry:
    Code:
    //xp2/backup /media/xp2_backup cifs credentials=/home/daniel/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Is there a step missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: mounting network share

Have you tried writing xp2 in upper case letters or use the IP address in /etc/fstab?

Beans

I meant to add that information.... Yes, I have tried upper and lower case.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Have you tried writing xp2 in upper case letters or use the IP address in /etc/fstab?

Beans

Doing some further research on this, I came up with this blog. It is old but the method provided and cited below works.
    Code:
    $mount -t cifs //win-share-hostname/share /mnt/win -o username=user,password=passwd,domain=xxx
    Using this method, the mount point is under /media not /mnt.

I don't know what it is. I used the same guide cited in my original post to try ad set-up permanent shares under Ubuntu 10.04 and could not get it to function using the fstab method. I'd still like a permanent solution.