Thread: Xfce or Unity?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Xfce or Unity?

OK, so i have an intel dual core 2,16Ghz processor, 4 gigs of RAM, 500 gigs of disk space a built in intel graphics card on a Fujitsu laptop a bit more than two years old. So what is the best option - Ubuntu Precise with Unity (are my specs made for it to run smoothly without any lagging) or Xubuntu Precise (Tried it out, and as for visual taste, it looks great, minimal, but beautiful also and highly functional and logical also).
    Is Xubuntu actually pure Ubuntu only with Xfce and i won't be underprivileged in any way...

I thank you in advance for your opinions!

Bye!
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans
    Distro

Re: Xfce or Unity?

Xubuntu is simple and pretty and fast, even on my ancient old hand-me-down hardware. But Xubuntu is more than just "Ubuntu with Xfce added on," it's the default settings, themes, artwork, and default applications (Abiword and Gnumeric in place of LibreOffice, for example, and other lightweight defaults). But with those specs I think you'll have no problems running Unity or any other desktop environment.

But consult the Ubuntu Certified Hardware page to search for your hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

should be fast enough.
    you can install both desktops, then you can switch session when you log in (dont set to auto login). you can install the normal ubuntu and then add the package xubuntu-desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your hardware is definitely up for using Unity, but I'm going to say +1 to ssam's suggestion: why not try out both? Here are instructions for reverting to standard Ubuntu, and here are instructions for getting to pure Xubuntu, for when you decide which one to keep.

I would note that you should definitely give Unity a try. It's different from the normal way of doing things, but I for one have found it an improvement. Others disagree, of course. Try using it for at least a week or so before you make up your mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Given your hardware, it's basically a matter of taste. As far as it can matter, I prefer using Xubuntu even on a 64 bit / 8 Gb Ram PC!

Beans

Same as the others.. I would try both..

However, personally I have found with the many laptops i have had, Xubuntu has always ran the smoothest and been the best to use. (since unity was released).. Just my opinion.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aykoola View Post
    Is Xubuntu actually pure Ubuntu only with Xfce and i won't be underprivileged in any way...
    Xubuntu is actually more "privileged" if you consider configurability, but don't take my word for it. Go ahead and try out as many desktops as you want. It's all good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Currently using and enjoying Unity and the XFCE session. The the session has fewer packages to install and doesn't use the Xubuntu splash and login screen.The XfCE goodies package is needed to get the panel indicators an extra art work.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aykoola View Post
    OK, so i have an intel dual core 2,16Ghz processor, 4 gigs of RAM, 500 gigs of disk space a built in intel graphics card on a Fujitsu laptop a bit more than two years old. So what is the best option - Ubuntu Precise with Unity (are my specs made for it to run smoothly without any lagging) or Xubuntu Precise (Tried it out, and as for visual taste, it looks great, minimal, but beautiful also and highly functional and logical also).

I thank you in advance for your opinions!

Bye!
    Looks like you have already made up your mind. If you are asking if Xubuntu is the red haired stepchild of Ubuntu the answer is no. That's Kubuntu. Xubuntu is Ubuntu - the TV interface + XFCE.