Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: additional drivers no longer installed by default ?

Beans

Re: additional drivers no longer installed by default ?

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I had been using nouveau for the last couple of cycles since it is (finally) working well for me so I hadn't paid any attention to additional drivers for awhile .
    Same here on this getting 'old' laptop, (8400m), starting in 12.10 nouveau worked better than the nvidia drivers in many respects.
    (to some extent because nouveau doesn't support powermizer so gpu runs at full speed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Guys and gals - Jockey was removed by the Ubuntu devs for the 12.10 release and was replaced by a new "Additional drivers" tab in the "Software Sources" app. It's powered by the the new “ubuntu-drivers-common” package.

That being said and after reading the release notes for 12.10, it seems Ubuntu didn't bother to officially announce this change to anyone via it's "What's new/Release notes" leaving the user in limbo as far as AMD/ATI and Nvidia drivers were concerned. Even the users over at Linux Mint are floundering around with this. The only reason I knew about this change ahead of time was by reading about it on a third party Linux site.

No wonder folks are still confused.

By the way, when you first bring up "Software Sources" you will have to wait several seconds before the app will appear. This is due to the app scanning your hardware first just like jockey did except the "Scanning hardware" box does not appear with this new change leaving the user to wonder what's going on.
    Last edited by Kirk M; November 23rd, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
    "Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk M View Post
    Guys and gals - Jockey was removed by the Ubuntu devs for this release and was replaced by a new "Additional drivers" tab in the "Software Sources" app. It's powered by the the new “ubuntu-drivers-common” package.

That being said and after reading the release notes for 12.10, it seems Ubuntu didn't bother to officially announce this change to anyone via it's "What's new/Release notes" leaving the user in limbo as far as AMD/ATI and Nvidia drivers were concerned. Even the users over at Linux Mint are floundering around with this. The only reason I knew about this change ahead of time was by reading about it on a third party Linux site.

Bad form all around.

By the way, when you first bring up "Software Sources" you will have to wait several seconds before the app will appear. This is due to the app scanning your hardware first just like jockey did except the "Scanning hardware" box does not appear with this new change leaving the user to wonder what's going on.

More bad form.
    What does this have to do with Raring Ringtail?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    What does this have to do with Raring Ringtail?
    The original question was "additional drivers no longer installed by default ?". That's the question I answered. I probably should have said it was removed for the 12.10 release instead of the way I worded it originally. To be honest, I didn't realize I was posting to the "Ubuntu +1 Raring Ringtail" thread since I found it via search. Sorry about that. I have edited my first post accordingly. The point being, Ubuntu made the change apparently without officially announcing it to it's users both current and potential. Now the confusion is apparently overflowing into Raring.
    Last edited by Kirk M; November 23rd, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
    "Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Beans
    Distro

ubuntu software center still installs jockey when you install "additional drivers" it just installs the wrong one . As I stated above it installs the KDE version instead of the GTK one see SS . I am running gnome-shell .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ronacc, if you check in synaptic, you'll see that jockey-gtk is just a transitional package, and isin't used any more, that's why you are getting jockey-kde when trying to install it.

Jockey GTK has been superseded by software-properties, which now handles
    third-party driver configuration.

You can safely remove this transitional package after upgrading.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    @ronacc, if you check in synaptic, you'll see that jockey-gtk is just a transitional package, and isin't used any more, that's why you are getting jockey-kde when trying to install it.
    I installed jockey-GTK with synaptic , I just didn't pay any attention to the description , I just saw the name clicked it and hit apply .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

I think they'll make it easier to find, one way would be thru the Dash with common search terms like
    add..
    dri...
    har...
    Maybe more depending on Name= & or Comment=
    An Ex. one can see would be
    gedit ~/.local/share/applications/additional-drivers.desktop

using something like -
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Additional Drivers
    Comment=Open Additional tab for hardware drivers available for the system
    Icon=jockey