Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wubi killed my ethernet

Beans

Wubi killed my ethernet

I wanted to test 10.04 and downloaded Wubi to do so. Normal setup, it automatically picked the 64-bit version.
    After booting into Wubi, installing my ATI drivers and restarting it did no longer connect to my ethernet.
    A few reboots didn't help so I went back to Windows for troubleshooting.

However now Windows doesn't connect to the ethernet either. It's plain dead, Windows doesn't find any connections and the modem doesn't light the Ethernet cable LED. The modem itself works fine with wireless devices.

I have now tried everything including uninstalling Ubuntu, system restore, driver rollback, driver update, BIOS default settings, a different cable, a different modem etc.

This is a 64-bit specific issue because I tested the 32-bit version of Wubi 10.04 a few months ago without problems.

Windows 7 x64
    Wubi 10.04 x64
    Gigabyte P55-UD3 with onboard Realtek RTL8111D LAN.

I'd like to get out of this without Ubuntu effectively having broken my hardware and my trust in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wubi killed my ethernet

Try looking at you network devices and making sure it's not set to disabled.

This sounds like it might be a Windows issue, and those are infinitely ten times much harder to troubleshoot over the internet.

Beans

I have disabled/enabled/reset/ipconfig'd the adapter about 20 times. All I get is the good old "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    I wanted to test 10.04 and downloaded Wubi to do so. Normal setup, it automatically picked the 64-bit version.
    After booting into Wubi, installing my ATI drivers and restarting it did no longer connect to my ethernet.
    A few reboots didn't help so I went back to Windows for troubleshooting.

However now Windows doesn't connect to the ethernet either. It's plain dead, Windows doesn't find any connections and the modem doesn't light the Ethernet cable LED. The modem itself works fine with wireless devices.

I have now tried everything including uninstalling Ubuntu, system restore, driver rollback, driver update, BIOS default settings, a different cable, a different modem etc.

This is a 64-bit specific issue because I tested the 32-bit version of Wubi 10.04 a few months ago without problems.

Windows 7 x64
    Wubi 10.04 x64
    Gigabyte P55-UD3 with onboard Realtek RTL8111D LAN.

I'd like to get out of this without Ubuntu effectively having broken my hardware and my trust in it.
    I've got kinda the same problem, drives me nut...

Discovered today that if I pull the power-cord out of the computer for a while when switching between Windows and Ubuntu it works, but a normal reboot does not... really silly...

I discovered this by accident, it was thunder and lightning outside this night and I pulled out computers etc, and sure was I surprised when everything worked when I booted my computer up... I where going to send my motherboard back to the shop, glad I didn't do that

Could it matters that I use 64bit windows and 32bit Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Media is disconnected?

Do you have a hardware switch or a software switch? You might have to enable that. Usually the hardware swtiches are somewhere on the computer and the software switch tends to be a Fn + F-key.

Beans

There are no hardware switches. The PC does not connect to the modem and the modem does not see the PC on the other end of the cable, though the modem and the network adapter evidently work. It isn't a cable problem either because I've tried several.

Something in Ubuntu somehow messed with the adapter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What's your IP setting? Are they configured for Manual or Automatic DHCP?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ifconfig -a shows the adapter?
    sudo lshw -C network recognize interface?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adde.k View Post
    Discovered today that if I pull the power-cord out of the computer for a while when switching between Windows and Ubuntu it works, but a normal reboot does not... really silly...
    Awesomely enough, this worked. I pulled out everything, took a shower and now everything works again.
    Kudos to you! (Swede? Tack!)

Beans

Talking Re: Wubi killed my ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    Awesomely enough, this worked. I pulled out everything, took a shower and now everything works again.
    Kudos to you! (Swede? Tack!)
    Inga problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast