Thread: How can I Open, View Apple Disk Images and Move Them?

Beans

Angry How can I Open, View Apple Disk Images and Move Them?

I have Recovery Drive from a MacBook that fell and the hard drive had to be replaced.

Now I am trying to get the data files from the old hard drive and move them to an external hard drive so I can copy them back onto the MacBook. Any idea how I can rescue these files, move them, etc? I've never used Ubuntu and I am not a programmer, developer, etc.

I can see the drive and even open the folder, but I can't move anything. I tried reading this thread but it's outdated.

See attached picture for error message I get and also see the view of the drives at top left.

I am running Ubuntu from a DVD in trial mode it is not installed on the MacBook. MacBook is running: 10.7.2, Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Dante
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IWN; February 5th, 2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something

Beans

Re: How can I Open, View Apple Disk Images and Move Them?

You might try looking at this thread. Dunno how available or out-of-date the software tools mentioned therein are at this point. But, it looks like somewhat actionable advice.

Beans

THanks. I read that thread and I sure have NO idea what they are doing. It sounds like it may work. But again I don't have a clue about what they are doing. I doubt I am adept at playing in terminal mode. I am not sure what else I can do other than just load Ubuntu on the DVD and sit and watch the .dmg file and pray somehow it will open up and give me the files or just slide the folders I need to one of the attached external drives!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i have a similar problem nut it says something like "there are no sources"
    p.s I'm running windows along side it and it is a pc does that make any difference to this problem?
    yallow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may need to install hsfprogs via Synaptic to give you some tools that may help with the Mac file system.
    Sorry it is only a hint... I had to do this once to copy files from a (working) Mac to another machine... have seen Youtube videos of people mounting the dmg files to create a bootable USB, though. Might be worth a little search...

EDIT:
    is this of any use ?
    http://www.coolestguyplanettech.com/...ery-partition/
    Last edited by Zimmer; November 21st, 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: extra link