Thread: Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

Beans

Exclamation Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

I have a private email server, normally I used squirrelmail to access it, but I would like to use thunderbird.

Thunderbird want access to port 587 if I use STARTLS.

The version of sendmail provided on Lubuntu 12.04, only provides access to port 587 using localhost.

I want access to domain-name 587, so I can use a laptop when working from a customer site.

It looks like all you should do is to remove the no_default_msa, and type make and reload the configs.
    Doing this, generates a message about 'opendaemonsocket: deamon MSA: can not bind: Address already in use, sendmail then dies with a message about SMTP socket wedged: exit

SO does anybody known how to configure sendmail so that it will accept non localhost connections on port 587?
    I have looked on the wider net, but most of the answers either do not work or are several years out of date!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

The follwoing row from sendmail.mc:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Name=MSP-v4, Port=submission, M=Ea, Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl

Should become

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Name=MSP-v4, Port=submission, M=Ea')dnl

Good luck!

Beans

Re: Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

You also have to rebuild sendmail.cf and restart sendmail itself. I usually use symbolic links in the /etc/mail directory like this:

Code:
    cd /etc/mail
    sudo m4 < sendmail-new.mc > sendmail-new.cf
    sudo mv sendmail.cf sendmail-old.cf
    sudo ln -s sendmail-new.cf sendmail.cf
    sudo service sendmail restart
    Then if something goes wrong it's easy to revert to sendmail-old.cf just by repointing the symlink.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users