Thread: Official 1 Month / 30 Day Anniversary

Beans

Official 1 Month / 30 Day Anniversary

23d November,--

It has been a month now since I set my Win7 system aside and move my main activity to Ubuntu

"Humanity towards others"

I really like this concept.

I have dropped any idea of running Wine as I've found Linux programs suitable for the things I do:

• web browser: Firefox
    • e/mail client: Thunderbird
    • office: LibreOffice
    • photography: gThumb ( i give this 5 stars )
    • music: Audacity, Audacious, and K3B, and EasyTag
    • Krusader ( replaces Windows/Explorer and Explorer^2 )
    • CodeLite ( replaces cpp express )
    • Clipit (replace Clipmate; needs improvement )
    • backups: I simply installed 2d hard drive. the 6GB/sec SATA cables are hard to beat for backup speed.

There are 2 areas I don't understand:

• Samba: how to let Windows guests access shared areas. we are still using thumb drives. I know how to do it theoretically but when I'm helping my daughter with her math class I don't have time to diddle with it.
    • Wireless: how to evaluate signal quality.

One of the interesting areas that we have run into during the last month is the relation between LibreOffice and MSFT Office "Intro Kit Option". These don't seem to exchange properly in .docx format; .doc seems to be better ( 97 format ) . The thing that interest me is -- that for students -- who are often pressed for funds -- LibreOffice should be the ideal option. The trouble starts when an instructor demands a mfr specific format . assignments should be requested in .pdf format rather than in editor format.
    Last edited by mike acker; November 25th, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Official 1 Month / 30 Day Anniversary

I notice you like Krusader. Very, nice. You might also try Gnome-Commander, Tuxcmd, mc, Worker, and xfe. I personally like Worker.

I think people should use odt format for document sharing. It's a much more likely to properly preserve your document for future document editors than other formats.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Official 1 Month / 30 Day Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    The trouble starts when an instructor demands a mfr specific format . assignments should be requested in .pdf format rather than in editor format.
    It's not just instructors; I once refused to write articles for a magazine that demanded I use Word Perfect and submit them in that proprietary format. Many businesses require specific formats for files.

I've found that Abiword does an excellent job of converting docx files to the older doc format. I'm not concerned with fine formatting inconsistencies, since I normally change the formatting of anything received from outside so that it matches my own standards.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads