Thread: ubuntu overwrites the whole partition?

Beans

Question ubuntu overwrites the whole partition?

Hello,
    Machine: Windows 7
    Ubuntu Version to be installed: 12.10
    Drive selected for installation: D Drive
    Is Drive Empty?: No, Drive D has data in it.
    Drive Size: 100 GB
    Drive Free Space: 39 GB
    Additional Info: See Image

My Question: Would Ubuntu wipe out my already existing data in D Drive?

Thank you guys,
    ~ aki

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ubuntu overwrites the whole partition?

looks like you try to install via Wubi. Wubi installs only creates a virtual partition inside Windows. This is for people that want to try out Ubuntu to an extent that a Live CD session cannot provide. So in other words, a Wubi install is not a real ubuntu insallation. To make a full installation you would need to boot from a Live Cd, create a new ext4 filesystem partition where Ubuntu would be installed to.

And, to answer your original question, no, it would not simply erase your partition, but instead, take some space and create a virtual partition.

The advantage of a wubi install is that you can easily uninstall it if you do not like Ubuntu. The drawback is that if you can't boot into windows, you also have no access to Ubuntu.

Hope this helps

regards
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Even if you did a non-Wubi install Ubuntu although needing its own partitions (non-Wubi), can resize the Windows partitions to make room for itself.

Beans

Thank you "Basher101" and "Gone Fishing".
    Yes, i wanted to put down a new installation of Ubuntu, and not something virtual that i can try out.

So, Wubi goes out the window for my purposes as of now.

And even if it is a non-Wubi installation, all I have to do is burn the ISO and boot from that drive, and Ubuntu will help me create/resize the partitions to make room for itself.

I hope I am right in understanding the both of you.

Thanks a lot,
    ~aki

Beans

Yes if you burn ISO to CD and boot from it then it will provide you 2 options
    Try or Install
    If you choose install then it will guide you through the whole process which includes the option for partitioning the drive.