Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac Fans Migrating to Ubuntu!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mac Fans Migrating to Ubuntu!!

hi guys:
    i was surfing on the web and in slashdot.org i found this article. http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20..._to_mac_o.html

Mac fans are migrating to ubuntu!! this a nice news!! hope for more windows fans migrate to ubuntu, like ballmer or gates maybe

and here are the post of the 2 macs guru's

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/29...ms_list_o.html
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/200...e-bough-breaks

and other one of a mac fan that might migrate too!

http://www.onfocus.com/2006/06/3811

this is really cool. Mark pilgrim is migrating because of drm stuff and so...
    and Cory Doctorow speaks about some free sotfware on his mac and so...

Should this worry apple??

nrayever
    Last edited by nrayever; July 3rd, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
    Linux Counter #382246 -

Beans

Re: Mac Fans Migrating to Ubuntu!!

Quote Originally Posted by nrayever
    hi guys:
    i was surfing on the web and in slashdot.org i found this article. http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20..._to_mac_o.html

Mac fans are migrating to ubuntu!! this a nice news!! hope for more windows fans migrate to ubuntu, like ballmer or gates maybe

and here are the post of the 2 macs guru's

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/29...ms_list_o.html
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/200...e-bough-breaks

and other one of a mac fan that might migrate too!

http://www.onfocus.com/2006/06/3811

this is really cool. Mark pilgrim is migrating because of drm stuff and so...
    and Cory Doctorow speaks about some free sotfware on his mac and so...

Should this worry apple??

nrayever
    No not really since the guys all quoted as switching are geek type/power users. This is not Apples core market so I think they have nothing to worry about.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Im actually thinking of getting a mac. I have a home built pc with windows and trying to get ubuntu to work with it(damn network card). Im a little sick and tired of everything being a hassle in linux and nothing working as it should in windows. Most of linux's problems aren't its fault. Its not supported with drivers or professional software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Should Apple worry. No.

I think that a lot of people are going to be annoyed with Vista and a lot of them will pick Mac's in the future in the West. Ubuntu and Linux in general may steal some of that but where Linux is really growing is in new markets rather than established ones. MS are the ones that are really worried, they have done nothing to convince growing markets to chose them and the governments in these growing markets are generally pro OSS. This is on top of a perception of a real contender in Apple and a growing OSS threat at home.

I think one area where Linux will grow is when governments looking to give people tax cuts move the state to OSS and that will probably be the time when Linux starts to spread quickly in the West (and it is of course already happening). It could be a big move for the cut taxes people for a long time to come.

Beans

Macs are the greatest now. No better triple boot machines.
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Apple's biggest market consists out of everyday families. Just look at the products (except the PowerMac / Macbook Pro Line) They are all made to entertain a person or family and at the same time provide them with hardware and software to entertain themselves.

The Apple power-users / geeks who are stepping over here, they might be related to the PowerMac / Powerbook / Macbook Pro customers... but having a free mind flying around.

No, Apple has nothing to worry for the time being. Sometimes I think Apple will definitelly hit a rock someday for becoming a 'all your base are belong to us' company.
    Linux Is Not Windows | www.derekdjons.nl | The 'XT' under the Rebels.
    Registered Linux User #406653 | Translator @ Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sadly their main motivation (drm, free software) is not the normal users main concern. And as long as Apple users are willing to pay for updates and are fine with buying the whole Apple productline to enjoy painless drm there will be no problem for Apple. But Linux distros like Ubuntu have the chance to get more mature in the meantime and be ready when den massmarket is ready for free software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarHero
    Im actually thinking of getting a mac. I have a home built pc with windows and trying to get ubuntu to work with it(damn network card). Im a little sick and tired of everything being a hassle in linux and nothing working as it should in windows. Most of linux's problems aren't its fault. Its not supported with drivers or professional software.
    Of course it is 100% up to you how you sped your money but I would imagine that a new network card would be considerably cheaper than a mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by lmandrake
    Sadly their main motivation (drm, free software) is not the normal users main concern..
    If you'd asked a normal user their opinions on DRM, you probably wouldn't get much out of them. However, if this normal user tried burning an iTunes-purchased song on one too many mix CDs, you'd find they suddenly care a lot more about the issue. If another normal user got fed up with their iPod, and realized that none of the songs they purchased on iTunes play on the Sandisk they'd like to buy, they'd also have issues with DRM.

Normal users aren't concerned about DRM until it makes their life difficult. At that point, though, many are open to the idea of alternatives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by banjobacon
    If you'd asked a normal user their opinions on DRM, you probably wouldn't get much out of them. However, if this normal user tried burning an iTunes-purchased song on one too many mix CDs, you'd find they suddenly care a lot more about the issue. If another normal user got fed up with their iPod, and realized that none of the songs they purchased on iTunes play on the Sandisk they'd like to buy, they'd also have issues with DRM.

Normal users aren't concerned about DRM until it makes their life difficult. At that point, though, many are open to the idea of alternatives.
    Very well put, banjobacon.

Most end-users care about one thing only--the end use. What can I do? Why can't I do this?

DRM is just a meaningless acronym, but the effects of DRM are not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast