Dear Ubuntu-friends,

Today I decided to reinstall an old laptop which was running Ubuntu 9.04 or something. Anyway, when I got to the window where I choose either Try from CD or Install Ubuntu, I chose the latter. However, it said that there was no internet connection. At first I thought, well I'll figure this out after I install so I tried to move on by clicking Continue. But nothing happened for about 20 minutes.

So then I returned and entered the Try from CD option to see what was going on with the network connection. But it appeared that there was no problem whatsoever with the connection. This post is the living prove of that since I am still in the Try from CD option.

I am on an Acer Extensa 5220 laptop and I never had any troubles in the past with installing Ubuntu and malfunctioning network connections. And since the connection seems to be working fine I don't think it's a driver issues.

To sum up: I think the problem is two-fold. On the one hand, I can't continue with the installation because nothing really happens when I press Continue. On the other, the installation process thinks it is not connected to the internet. And I am not sure how, if at all, the two are related.

I really hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have been searching the web, but I can't find an answer. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Skate
The Netherlands