Thread: Almost no free space

Hybrid View

Beans

Almost no free space

Hi guys!

I am a former windows user, and linux is brand new to me. I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop, alongside Windows (Dual boot, with Windows and Ubuntu on separate drives, and yes, it is a wubi install)

Anyways, I am having some trouble with the amount of space I am allowed to use. It is a wubi install, and I think I chose the 15 Gb options when I installed it. Nevertheless I am now having very little free space where my /home folder is located, and all the space is located in some "folder" named /host...

So, my question is if there is any way to move the space from /host to /home, or in anyway make the space in /host usable.

Some help is much appreciated

Here's what comes up when I type df -h:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0 9.3G 8.8G 515M 95% /
    udev 3.7G 4.0K 3.7G 1% /dev
    tmpfs 1.5G 904K 1.5G 1% /run
    none 5.0M 24K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
    none 3.7G 392K 3.7G 1% /run/shm
    /dev/sda1 15G 9.9G 5.1G 67% /host
    /dev/sdb2 447G 86G 362G 20% /media/Windows7_OS_
    /dev/sdb1 1.5G 363M 1.2G 25% /media/SYSTEM_DRV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Almost no free space

Basically -- no.

The /host folder is where your Windows filesystem is mounted automatically in a Wubi install.

You said you have separate "drives" -- but that is the term that MS uses for "partitions" -- which are allocated spaces on the SAME physical drive.

Either way, you can't migrate space from Windows to Ubuntu or vice-versa.

If you look in the Wubi guide (linked below), there is a way to increase the size of the virtual space allocated to Ubuntu -- if there is actual free space on the drive:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If it's a wubi install, it's not dual-boot. "Dual-boot" means that the PC is capable of booting into two different OS'es. Yours boots into Windows.

If you're not thrilled about getting rid of the wubi install and trying to preform a true dual-boot (or perhaps virtualization?) I don't think there are too many non-geeky options other than getting yourself an external drive and keeping the data in your wubi /home carved down to the minimum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Indeed. Wubi is basically a Virtual Machine designed to run Ubuntu. It can be fairly seamless and feel like a dual-boot setup because it bypasses the Windows GUI environment, but it still runs on Windows, and it is still installed within your Windows partition.

Edit: I haven't tried it myself, but apparently there's a method for migrating a Wubi install onto its own partition so that you do have a true dual-boot setup.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi

Definitely read the entire page before diving in. Definitely back up your important files before diving in. And, it's probably wise to wait for someone who's used that method to chime in with advice from experience.
    Last edited by newb85; November 17th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    If it's a wubi install, it's not dual-boot. "Dual-boot" means that the PC is capable of booting into two different OS'es. Yours boots into Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Indeed. Wubi is basically a Virtual Machine designed to run Ubuntu. It can be fairly seamless and feel like a dual-boot setup because it bypasses the Windows GUI environment, but it still runs on Windows, and it is still installed within your Windows partition.
    Neither of these is correct. Wubi is a type of dual-boot. When it boots it briefly uses the Windows bootloader, but after that no parts of Windows are running. It boots into and runs Ubuntu just like a traditional install, it's just done from a loopmounted virtual partition instead of a proper partition.

Wubi is not a virtual machine or an emulator, or anything like that.

Barbarozza, there is a guide about Wubi here. It's theoretically possible to expand a Wubi system, but it may be a better solution long-term to reinstall to a proper partition (ie: not using Wubi) that you assign plenty of space to.

Beans

Thanks for the replies guys! I really appreciate it, and I will definitely take a closer look at the wubi guide.

I think Paqman is correct though, as I am able to boot into two different OS'.

When I said that I have installed Ubuntu on a different drive, is was because I installed Ubuntu on a 16 Gig SSD, while Windows is installed on my 450 Gig HDD.

All I want is to designate the whole 16 gig of my SSD to Ubuntu, and this can't possibly be so difficult!