Thread: Dell Latitude D610 - WiFi setup

Hybrid View

Beans

Dell Latitude D610 - WiFi setup

Hello everyone.
    This is the first distro I am trying, which is Xubuntu 12.10. I have it dual booting with Windows XP since I can't get the WiFi working on Xubuntu.
    I tried following --> this tutorial <-- but I am completely at loss of what I am doing, I need a way to get WiFi working without internet access on Xubuntu. I have access through WiFi on Windows XP from which I can download the necessary files.
    I downloaded the files in solution #2 at that link but I had to get linux-headers packages for kernel 3.5.0.
    I would really appreciate any and all help.
    ////
    I forgot to mention that I have a Broadcom BCM4318 driver.
    Last edited by qwikrazor87; November 17th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Beans

Re: Dell Latitude D610 - WiFi setup

You might try the solution here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...0STA%20drivers

and scroll down to the section titled "No internet access" . Download the files suggested there while you are booted into XP, then in Xubuntu mount your XP partition and copy the downloaded files from there and try to follow the instructions. Download the files suggested for 12.04 . I don't know if they will work for 12.10 or not. Unless you have a good reason to need 12.10, consider sticking with 12.04 anyway - it is an LTS version supported until 2017. 12.10 will be supported for only another 18 months, then you'll have to upgrade to get new updates.

FYI, on Dell laptops you generally have the option to replace your Broadcom wireless card with an Intel card (Dell sold the D610 with both), and the Intel card should work automatically. Probably very easy to install and would cost all of about $10 USD. Installing an Intel wireless card is almost always the first thing I do when I acquire laptop to refurbish. I hate all the hassles of Broadcom wireless cards in Linux!

Beans

Thank you very much for your help, I will download 12.04.

That does sound much easier getting an intel wireless card but for now I will download the other distro and try to get broadcom working on there.

That is the tutorial that I referred to in solution #2 in the link I posted but I might have better luck getting it working on 12.04. Thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

Download the b43 zip file to a flash drive then drag and drop the file to your ubuntu desktop. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
    sudo cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
    sudo rmmod -f b43
    sudo rmmod -f ssb
    sudo modprobe b43
    if you have not installed any other driver this should get your wireless working.
    Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 10th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Beans

Hi Wild Man.
    Thank you very much for your help. That solved my problem from my wireless card not showing up.
    In the terminal I typed in iwconfig and now it shows up as this,
    iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID: off/any
    Mode: Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry long limit: 7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
    Power Management: off

eth0 no wireless extensions.
    After running the commands you told me to it said that wireless connection is now available.
    My problem now is that I can't figure out how to setup up the wireless connection.
    While in the network setup the wireless access point does not come up in the list.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, welcome to the forum! Please open a terminal ctrl+alt+t copy and paste the following commands into it one line at a time, then paste the results here:

Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release; uname -a
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    lsusb
    iwconfig
    rfkill list all
    lsmod
    by clicking on new reply and click # then paste the information between the brackets.
    Thank you

Beans

Thank you Wild Man, much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro