Thread: Openbox option at login brings-up blank screen

Beans

Openbox option at login brings-up blank screen

I am on lubuntu 12.10 AMD E.350 processor Sony VAIO VPCY.

Was trying to check out various options lubuntu gives at login dialogue. Though lubuntu as well as Notebook worked just fine, When I select the third option called openbox, I have a blank screen.

Does not look like it is intended to be blank.

Though I am able to right click on mouse which gives me option to open the browser, switch desktop, etc.

However all desktops have complete blank screen. Pretty confusing.

When in this mode if I go to terminal and execute shutdown, it just hangs with some error like system_bus_socket not found. Only way is to hard reboot.
    Last edited by svee; November 17th, 2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added more information about the error....

Beans

Re: Openbox option at login brings-up blank screen

Openbox does not come with panels or desktop images. You'll need other applications for that. Have a look at the Openbox guide linked to in my signature. Though it is a litle outdated, it should help you get started with Openbox.

Beans

Thanks for the document; that helps.

Looks like it is not meant for users who start exploring UI without reading document beforehand. 'blank screen' on start made me think something is broken (not even message that I should right click to get started for first time).

Still issue of system hang during shutdown remains. I tried this twice both times it could not complete the shutdown and I had to hard boot.

Beans

What command do you use to shutdown?