Thread: Internet connection works for only a short time after startup

Beans

Internet connection works for only a short time after startup

Hello, I've just installed Ubuntu a few days back for the first time, and all of a sudden yesterday, my network connection began to have problems. It works perfectly directly after restard, but only for 0~30 minutes. No amount of waiting corrects the problem, do its clearly not a connection/ISP issue. Other computers in the household connect as well, as long as mobile divices.
    When I ping google/yahoo/anywhere when the Internet is down, it returns with
    ping: unknown host yahoo.com
    On a side note, another issue I've been having is that during boot, the screen goes black with a box stating 'Input not supported', and I was wondering if there was a way to fix that.

EDIT: I'm using a wireless connection, by the way.

Thank you for reading through my post
    ~Yoshi
    Last edited by yoshibear1009; November 17th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.

Beans

Re: Internet connection works for only a short time after startup

It sounds like some kind of hardware failure, like maybe the wireless card overheating or something.

Does your computer get very hot when running Ubuntu? There are things like laptop-mode-tools and the jupiter applet that you could use to throttle performance and control the temperature to some extent, if that turns out to be the problem.

I can't think of anything besides hardware, but maybe somebody else can chime in.

Beans

Re: Internet connection works for only a short time after startup

Checking over my computer and the innards, it seems to be much cooler than when I was running XP whilst idling: the fan is running quietly as well. There's next to no lag whilst performing generic tasks.
    When my internet's functional, I get a ping result from the sites; rather high result, though, but that's just a result of season/time.