Thread: outlook account, configured in windows for the emails to a website, alternatives ?

outlook account, configured in windows for the emails to a website, alternatives ?

Hi, I am using Outlook in windows. Apparently, it is connected to the server of my website, and I get there the emails that are sent to the contact of the website. It works great. But I want to start using Ubuntu. Anyway I do not know if there is some clone of Outlook for ubuntu, if it would work inmediately , or how I do it. So is there some ubuntu clone applications i can use for keeping getting my emails from my website? ; Can they be inmediately configured or do I need to ask the server about it? thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: outlook account, configured in windows for the emails to a website, alternatives

There are numerous email clients for Linux/Ubuntu- I don't currently use one myself but I like Mutt and Thunderbird- this should get you started.

Re: outlook account, configured in windows for the emails to a website, alternatives

But, how do I configure it with the website? I have no idea, All i know is I just can check the mail from the website from this IP, does that make some sense? How do I configure Thunderbird for checking the emails from my website? Do I put some server address or?

But, how do I configure it with the website? I have no idea, All i know is I just can check the mail from the website from this IP, does that make some sense? How do I configure Thunderbird for checking the emails from my website? Do I put some server address or? thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can probably find out all the info you need (protocol, server addresses, etc.) from looking at the settings in Outlook. How did you set up it in Outlook? Try and replicate the process with Thunderbird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by michael servetus center View Post
    But, how do I configure it with the website? I have no idea, All i know is I just can check the mail from the website from this IP, does that make some sense? How do I configure Thunderbird for checking the emails from my website? Do I put some server address or? thanks
    Typically with Thunderbird you'll only need your name, email address, and email password. Thunderbird should do the rest.
    If it finds the email address, it will show the username, the email address, and the email protocol(POP, or IMAP, or other)and a create tab where normally you'd find the OK button appear, click it and your email should be forever synced with Thunderbird.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michael servetus center View Post
    Hi, I am using Outlook in windows. Apparently, it is connected to the server of my website, and I get there the emails that are sent to the contact of the website. It works great.
    Do the emails from your website come from an online 'Contact' form or simply from an email address on a page within your site? Perhaps you could give the address of your site and then things might be a little clearer...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?