Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest computer you are using?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What is the oldest computer you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by Aarbron View Post
    Hello, Lisati,

128D in that collection? If you decide to part with it, a caring home for it awaits
    I can't remember which version(s) I have. The sound doesn't work on one of them. I've also got a matching monitor, but it has seen better days. I did have a printer but I'm not sure where it is.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The oldest computer I'm using is my work computer. It's a Pentium 4 (2.26 Ghz) with 512 MB of RAM (actually, 480 MB since the video card uses 32 MB). It could run pretty decently, but the little RAM it has often makes it painfully slow, and being a computer from the place I work, I can't just open it and put more RAM in it.

Beans

The oldest computer that I have is a Compaq Deskpro PC with a 500MHz Pentium III processer, a 145 watt power supply, an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 MB video card, a Compaq brand motherboard, 768 MB of RAM, and a Creative brand sound card.
    It also has a 20 GB and a 30 GB hard drive, with the 30 GB hard drive having almost 3 years worth of use on it. Finally, it has two optical drives, a 10x CD-RW drive and a 52x DVD-RW drive.
    I have Windows XP on the 30 GB hard drive, and Ubuntu 10.04 is on the 20 GB hard drive.
    I don't use it regularly, do to it's age and lack of speed. And because the motherboard doesn't have a networking card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thinkpad R31 PIII 1.1Ghz. w/512, works fine for web surfing and word processing. Flash? not so good there. I have an HP PIII w/64 RAM. Looking to upgrade the RAM then we'll see. I was able to boot Puppy but there was only about 32k RAM free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    Believe it or not, I haven't purchased new hardware since the 1.8ghz Core2Duo came out.
    I believe it, my last new one was an Dell Inspiron 1521 also with a 1.8gHz processor, but an AMD64 X2 dual core processor. Vista had just been released. Shortly after that I started using Ubuntu more and more frequently.

I did not mention an old Philips P3105 an XT clone with 784KB of memory, black/white monitor, 20MB disk and a 384KB floppy, because it is incomplete. That one has a missing video cable with some old connectors. One day I will make time to reproduce the cable again, since I know the pin allocation of the two connectors. In the mid 90-ties the XT was networked with my 486 using NETBEUI over coax cable Ethernet.

The last time I had everything installed in a spare bedroom in 2009. I detected that Windows for Workgroups on the 486 booted much faster then Windows Vista on my dual core processor. Progress?
    Last edited by BertN45; November 17th, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I can't remember which version(s) I have. The sound doesn't work on one of them. I've also got a matching monitor, but it has seen better days. I did have a printer but I'm not sure where it is.
    The 'D' version is the box version, with a keyboard attached via a cord. The normal 128's look like the Amiga 500, with the keyboard built-in.

Beans

5 year old laptop. 1GB RAM, PIV, 80GB HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The Oldest i used is Pentium Celeron with 256MB RAM and 40GBHDD.
    Capable of playing GTA Vice City

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Commodore Amiga 1200 from 1992. Use it for retro gaming and two player games.

She sports 64 meg's of RAM and a 56 mhz processor

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

My Dell Pentium 4 from 2007, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HDD but the mouse failed a few days ago so running UBuntu with keyboard only is getting a bit fiddly It's happy even with Unity
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast