Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the new kernel 3.2.0-33 stable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is the new kernel 3.2.0-33 stable?

I probably should have checked first,,because while Im typing this,,the new kernel is downloading onto my 12.04 Ubuntu,,just wanted to make sure its a stable kernel with no problems?

Thanks ahead!!

Tommy

Update..well all is good so far with the 3.2.0-33 kernel.Can I just go into synaptic and remove/uninstall everything that has a green box for the 3.2.0-32 to get rid of my old kernel?

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by 577 Jersey; November 16th, 2012 at 04:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is the new kernel 3.2.0-33 stable?

Quote Originally Posted by 577 Jersey View Post
    I probably should have checked first,,because while Im typing this,,the new kernel is downloading onto my 12.04 Ubuntu,,just wanted to make sure its a stable kernel with no problems?
    Yes. all 3.2 versions are stable kernel. these are usually security patches and bug fixes.
    i think ver 3.5 is development but i am not sure.

Update..well all is good so far with the 3.2.0-33 kernel.Can I just go into synaptic and remove/uninstall everything that has a green box for the 3.2.0-32 to get rid of my old kernel?
    That would possibly be a bad idea.

i used computor janitor to clean the old kernels. i think Ubuntu tweak tool laso does it (not sure though). however you should keep the old kernel (at least one) in case something goes wrong or you accidentally break something, then you can always fallback to old version and fix it form there.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I' currently running 3.2.0-33 (on a desktop[ and a laptop)and it appears to be stable.

I follow the procedure here and have no issues removing old kernels

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/11/...neiric-ocelot/

Although written for 10.04, works fine on 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well that procedure purges them not just unistall. which is ok. you wouldn't want residual traces left behind i think.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info guys,,
    Ive been running 12.04 for a week or so,,like it way better than that windows propaganda crap!

Im still new to all of this,,and kinda scared of the terminal at the moment,,so was looking for the easiest way possible to remove old kernels,,thanks for the tips!!

Tommy
    Last edited by 577 Jersey; November 16th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hattpa View Post
    I' currently running 3.2.0-33 (on a desktop[ and a laptop)and it appears to be stable.

I follow the procedure here and have no issues removing old kernels

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/11/...neiric-ocelot/

Although written for 10.04, works fine on 12.04
    Just a quick question,,I looked at the procedure and it looks very strait forward,,my question is,,after the kernels come up,,do you have to choose one at a time to remove,,or does it give the option to choose multiple kernels to remove/purge?

Im taking it as,,each command I type in will remove a single kernel(the one I choose),,and I would have to reapeat the command for each one I choose?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    Yes. all 3.2 versions are stable kernel. these are usually security patches and bug fixes.
    i think ver 3.5 is development but i am not sure.

That would possibly be a bad idea.

i used computor janitor to clean the old kernels. i think Ubuntu tweak tool laso does it (not sure though). however you should keep the old kernel (at least one) in case something goes wrong or you accidentally break something, then you can always fallback to old version and fix it form there.
    This is what I found,,how come the older kernel still shows up after using computer janitor to remove,,am I missing something here?

I also tried to delete the older kernel 3.2.0-29 using the purge and they said it was not installed,,why did it show up in computer janitor then,,now Im really confused.

tom@tom-OptiPlex-745:~$ uname -r
    3.2.0-33-generic-pae
    tom@tom-OptiPlex-745:~$ dpkg --list | grep linux-image
    ii linux-image-3.2.0-29-generic-pae 3.2.0-29.46 Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
    ii linux-image-3.2.0-32-generic-pae 3.2.0-32.51 Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
    ii linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae 3.2.0-33.52 Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
    ii linux-image-generic-pae 3.2.0.33.36 Generic Linux kernel image
    tom@tom-OptiPlex-745:~$
    Last edited by 577 Jersey; November 16th, 2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: delete
    Assume nothing,,until it is proven.

Beans

Yes, you have to repeat the command for each kernel...just make sure that you don't remove the one listed when you run uname -r.

Not sure why it still appears in Janitor, I don't use it.

Did you remember the last line of the procedure to update grub? could be it picks it up from there.

Beans

There is no benefit to uninstall the old kernels unless you are running VERY low on hard disk space.

There is also no reason to guess "what is this new kernel update?" because Ubuntu development is "open source" and transparent. Here is the changelog listing the exact changes:

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...3.36/changelog

If you need more info you can join the devel mailing lists or maybe become a developer yourself one day!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hattpa View Post
    Yes, you have to repeat the command for each kernel...just make sure that you don't remove the one listed when you run uname -r.

Not sure why it still appears in Janitor, I don't use it.

Did you remember the last line of the procedure to update grub? could be it picks it up from there.
    I dont think I did the last line in the prcedure,,thanks!!

Got it now!!
    Assume nothing,,until it is proven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast