Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to delete unused files

Beans

How to delete unused files

How do I delete unused files that remain after running the Update Manager. I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How to delete unused files

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    or instead of autoclean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    for more thorough cleaning.
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

Beans

The autoclean freed me up a little bit of space, there were still some files left over from old packages which I had to find and rm -rf myself, is there a nice way to pinpoint folders which have more than a threshold of space usage?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Give "Bleachbit" a try, its in the software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbals View Post
    The autoclean freed me up a little bit of space, there were still some files left over from old packages which I had to find and rm -rf myself, is there a nice way to pinpoint folders which have more than a threshold of space usage?
    Unless you are really short of disk space I recommend you do not do this as the space taken up by "unused" files from old packages is generally insignificant.

Your post count (and question!) implies you are a "newbie" to Linux and, as such, you are very likely to cause major damage to your system by using commands such as "rm -rf". The "cleaning" utilites can also cause damage if not used correctly. My advice is just to stay clear of these things - you generally don't need them.

Beans

As Zill says. Linux hardly pollutes. Avoid Bleachbit and their lot.

Should you wish to do some cleaning anyway, then these are safe cleaning actions:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...sproject/clean

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu Tweak has a Janitor function for cleaning out unneeded files plus many other useful features.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

I have used it several time with no ill effect.

I would recommend leaving the Old Kernel files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please tell me how you know they are unused. I see Update Manager removing files/packages that have been replaced by newer packages.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I used the site "How to clean up Ubuntu" : https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...C-The-registry. I Used the "Remove unused remains of uninstalled software" procedure. That was about three days ago, and still the old kernals remain. I am still running version 10.04 which is an updated version. Is this process something that I have to wait on, and if so how long? Thank you.
    Last edited by alcla; May 27th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

That procedure will get rid of remaining configuration files of removed packages.

Old kernels are kept, so that you have something to fall back on in case the new kernel unexpectedly doesn't work with your hardware. You can remove them by removing the packages linux-image-<some version> using synaptic. It's best to keep one old kernel at all times. This is explained under point 4 (Remove old kernels) in the link you gave.

Unless you use the server edition, 10.04 is no longer updated. Consider upgrading to 12.04 LTS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast