Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: elementary OS Luna Beta 1

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: elementary OS Luna Beta 1

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    When I upgraded Luna Beta 1 to Quantal, I got a bonus; Gnome-classic and Unity. I also installed Awn dock, before I upgraded Luna. Awn session has all the eye-candy and the snappiness of Elementary OS Luna.

And no ugly black top panel

And a visible minimize button...
    AWN? Don't you mean Cairo?

Beans
    Hidden!

That's what I've been telling them. There is no problem whatsoever. I even made a Quantal-Luna with Quantal and Luna apps from the mini.iso, and that too works quite well. I even moved Beta 1 to Raring and that too works smoothly.

I took off all the "new" Elementary apps and replaced them with known apps like Nautilus, Gedit, Rhythmbox etc, and everything worked very well. I even took away Wingpanel, and replaced it with Awn, Docky, Tint2, Lxpanel, and it still worked.

But, the Elementary devs are insisting that they have bugs, full of them. I wonder, what makes them so fearful, while Pear OS 6 had come our with even the old Slingshot!
    So what are you left with? Only the wallpapers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    So what are you left with? Only the wallpapers

No pal, with Gala and that is the WM.

And that's the only thing you need to get the Elementary OS feel. You can add pantheon, but it pulls that fixed-always Wingpanel.

And of course the slick Slingshot, and the slick greeter.
    I want the Slingshot, but not the Wingpanel. Who needs an unconfigurable panel or dock?

Good day!

Beans
    Hidden!

Got to say elementary is very fast... tried it live from USB and it was flying. Just a pity I am so happy using Unity at the moment... couldn't not get myself to pull the trigger and install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Finally got around to installing this on my Dell Mini 9 (Atom / 1GB RAM).
    For those comparing to Unity / Cinammon, there is no contest in usability on low end hardware. eOS is sufficiently fast that there is only just a noticeable difference between LXDE (Lubuntu) and eOS; Unity and Cinammon (and Gnome 3 Shell) lag substantially such that I had to remove each in turn (on a 12.04 / Mint base).

Only been using it a few hours, but nothing sticks out as having major bugs.

Recommend - especially for those who want a modern UI but have less-than-modern hardware.

Beans

Hey guys, I'm Cassidy James, a UX designer and Council member from elementary.

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Ehn I am mixed, again this seems like a unneeded fork of Gnome shell and while I hate gnome shell we got cinnamon to fill in some of the gaps, plus this seems to lack theme support right now.
    Pantheon is not a fork of GNOME Shell. It's a shell consisting of WingPanel, a dock based on Plank, Slingshot, Gala and a few other components. WingPanel is built from the ground up to be a lightweight but classy panel that works exactly the way we want, the dock is super lightweight and is being developed with the Plank devs to make it work exactly the way we want, Slingshot is a lightweight app launcher that looks and functions the way we want (backed up with user testing and research), Gala is an incredibly smooth window/compositing manager built on LibMutter. Nothing there is a fork of anything else, it was all built to make the user experience exactly what we wanted it to be.

As far as lacking theme support, I'm curious as to what you mean. Nearly everything should be themable via the GTK theme, including the panel, app launcher, etc. The dock uses Plank's theming system, and different dock themes work great. One thing I may do if enough people are interested is write up a sort of theming guide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    I would love to be able to reduce the height of Wingpanel. It seems too big for 9 pt text. It's the only thing so far that I haven't been able to customize.
    That's actually a known bug and should be fixed very shortly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by blaede22 View Post
    That's actually a known bug and should be fixed very shortly.
    Turns out what had been bugging me was the fact that the shadow was randomly turning into a solid strip of color, which made Wingpanel look bigger than it was. Still, I eagerly await anything that allows me to customize Wingpanel, even if it's for minor changes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Turns out what had been bugging me was the fact that the shadow was randomly turning into a solid strip of color, which made Wingpanel look bigger than it was. Still, I eagerly await anything that allows me to customize Wingpanel, even if it's for minor changes.
    Do you want to customize Wingpanel or get rid of it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you want to customize Wingpanel or get rid of it?
    I would like to customize it. I am content with having Wingpanel despite its minor flaws and bugs and do not want to uninstall it.

I do not wish to sound rude, but you've developed a habit pushing your own customized version of Elementary at every available opportunity. I understand that you do not seem to enjoy Elementary as it has been presented to the public, but some of us do, or rather at least see the potential for it and wish to help it improve by reporting bugs and requesting features.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast