Thread: Sable Complete desktop

Beans

Sable Complete desktop

Have there been any third party reviews of the new Sable Complete yet?

Wondering if the hard drive and RAM are user upgradable.

Also, if the optional optical drive is added, where does it go? Is there a slot on the side like on an iMac, or is it an external device.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sable Complete desktop

Quote Originally Posted by bakelitedoorbell View Post
    Have there been any third party reviews of the new Sable Complete yet?

Wondering if the hard drive and RAM are user upgradable.

Also, if the optional optical drive is added, where does it go? Is there a slot on the side like on an iMac, or is it an external device.
    I'm not aware of any 3rd-party reviews yet, but we are planning a demo unit to go out soon.

As for upgrades, all of our machines are user-upgradable. The Sable is a bit trickier to get into than most of our systems, but the same principle applies to it.

As for the CD drive, it's an internal slimline unit (similar to the drive in a laptop) that mounts on the right side of the machine, just behind the display. You can see it in this shot:

Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am considering the Sable Complete myself, and wondered about a couple of things...

It's probably obvious to most, but I have to ask, is the screen glossy or matte? And if it is, sadly, glossy, is it super glossy, or is there maybe some kind of anti-glare effect to it? Also, how are the viewing angles and light bleed?

Also, is the system pretty silent? I'm sure the processor fan is quiet, but is the system fan or whatever is inside to help cool things ultra hush hush?

I think that should do it for now. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I recently bought a Lemur and am very happy with it. I may be replacing my old desktop computer soon and have several questions about the Sable.

1. Can a second hard drive be installed instead of the CD drive?
    2. Does it have Bluetooth?
    3. The ZaReason Zima 930 appears to be based on the same hardware, but offers four USB-3 and two USB-2 ports. Why only USB-2 on the Sable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
    1. Can a second hard drive be installed instead of the CD drive?
    You can do it, though we can't install a second hard drive that way from the factory. You'll want to purchase a slimline caddy case to mount the second drive in.
    2. Does it have Bluetooth?
    If you add the WiFi option, then Bluetooth is also included.
    3. The ZaReason Zima 930 appears to be based on the same hardware, but offers four USB-3 and two USB-2 ports. Why only USB-2 on the Sable?
    They aren't the same computer. We offer only USB 2 on the Sable because that's what we could offer on it.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    We offer only USB 2 on the Sable because that's what we could offer on it.
    Thanks for the quick response, although answer above doesn't explain whether it is for technical reasons or production cost.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    They aren't the same computer. We offer only USB 2 on the Sable because that's what we could offer on it.
    Thanks for the quick response, although answer above doesn't explain whether it is for technical reasons or production cost.
    Doesn't the Sable also have "Bottom Ports: 4 x USB 2.0, HDMI, Audio I/O", so the total USB 2.0 ports available is 6?

Isantop can speak for System76, but I would guess that either the motherboard is not compatible with USB 3.0 or it comes with fixed USB 2.0 ports that match the all-in-one case.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbelmonte View Post
    Doesn't the Sable also have "Bottom Ports: 4 x USB 2.0, HDMI, Audio I/O", so the total USB 2.0 ports available is 6?

Isantop can speak for System76, but I would guess that either the motherboard is not compatible with USB 3.0 or it comes with fixed USB 2.0 ports that match the all-in-one case.
    Yes, the System76 page shows a total of 6 USB 2 ports for the Sable.

The cases appear to be the same form the online images. The Sable offers a larger solid state drive as an option.

I asked for clarification of the circular answer to my question.

To say:

-"We offer only USB 2 on the Sable because that's what we could offer on it." -

isn't very helpful in planning a purchase.

My new Lemur has 2 USB 3 ports so I was surprised to see a new product with USB 2 only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@cbtengr

Well, I think System76 is right in that they aren't the same computer, as a barebone system can be stuffed with whatever a vendor wants in order to create the tailored product they aim to deliver.

Both System76 and ZaReason seem to be using Intel's all-in-one barebone, the Intel LP‑2150/Intel LP‑2151. Sadly, I can't find the exact specs on these, even from Intel's website.

I am just wondering about the screen and the system noise, as per my unanswered inquiry above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by norfair View Post
    I am considering the Sable Complete myself, and wondered about a couple of things...

It's probably obvious to most, but I have to ask, is the screen glossy or matte? And if it is, sadly, glossy, is it super glossy, or is there maybe some kind of anti-glare effect to it? Also, how are the viewing angles and light bleed?

Also, is the system pretty silent? I'm sure the processor fan is quiet, but is the system fan or whatever is inside to help cool things ultra hush hush?

I think that should do it for now. Thanks.
    The Sable has a big sheet of glas in front of the screen, so it is quite glossy. On the other hand, glossy screens requre very little adjustment to reduce glare. Since this is a desktop and won't move, once you find a glare-free spot, it won't need to be adjusted.

As for noise, it's pretty much silent. If you're in a dead quiet room with no audio playing and no background noise, you might hear it, but in a normal room, you won't. It doesn't cover up any audio you have playing either.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!