Thread: the mess at msft

Beans

the mess at msft

is the "emballmer" making msft into a toy company?

or have they succumbed to the "we have to do it because we haven't tried it yet" concept? as they did with those idiot's ribbon menus

or is the emballmer trying to embalm all of us and force all msft users into using his windows-live concept, a`la "WORD": Let's impose OUR style on EVERYBODY

with Dell, ASUS, and now HP offering U buntu computers I'm thinking the future is looking good about now
    Last edited by mike acker; November 15th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: the mess at msft

Er, do you have a specific topic here, or is this just a general rant? Microsoft are a big, big company, they do lots of different stuff. Which bit would you like to discuss?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: the mess at msft

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post

with Dell, ASUS, and now HP offering U buntu computers I'm thinking the future is looking good about now
    The last time I checked... Dell and HP have still quite, quite limited offers for pre-installed Ubuntu laptops. Here in Bulgaria, the main Dell retailer has some offers, but only to a limited few models. It's still not as pervasive as to make any difference. I hope that the future will be much brighter though...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans

Microsoft is still by far the dominant desktop OS, especially in big business, schools and universities. The are also selling more consoles than anyone else. They aren't doing as badly as some people think. The big thing at the moment seems to be people complaining about the Metro interface, an optional interface which can easily turned off. It's designed for touch screens which are more than likely going to become standard over the next few years.
    Last edited by mr john; November 15th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Microsoft is still by far the dominant desktop OS, especially in big business, schools and universities. The are also selling more consoles than anyone else. They aren't doing as badly as some people think. The big thing at the moment seems to be people complaining about the Metro interface, an optional interface which can easily turned off. It's designed for touch screens which are more than likely going to become standard over the next few years.
    a touch screen is a special purpose tool. its main use is for selecting items from menus. but i don't think that is the main aspect of win-8. i think the main aspect is the integration of win-8 with win-live and i think you will see this done in a manner that you won't be able to tell which component you are using.

some folks will see privacy issues in this while others will shrug and say cest la vie

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    ..the main aspect is the integration...
    Yes, integration in all things consumer-electronic. I thought it interesting none in the row of shiny new laptops I saw sporting Metro on display recently in Costco had touch screens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread Closed.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...