Thread: Need help getting wireless HP printer to work with Ubuntu 12.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Need help getting wireless HP printer to work with Ubuntu 12.04

Hi
    I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 (which I am new to) on a wireless laptop and was recently given a free printer. It is an HP Deskjet 3050. After much tinkering I have finally gotten it to print out a test page but I can't get it to connect to my computer's wireless home network so I can print from it. What are the steps necessary to get it to connect to my wireless laptop or wireless network router so I can print from it? I haven't got a users manual for it.

Thank you for any help

Beans

Re: Need help getting wireless HP printer to work with Ubuntu 12.04

- connect to your printers ad hoc network
    - Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
    - Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
    - Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then you can configure it to connect to your wireless network
    Below it what the adhoc webpage should look like:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm sure the user's manual is available as a .pdf from the HP website

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I'm sure the user's manual is available as a .pdf from the HP website
    +1. No doubt ... if not there somewhere.

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/se...ers+manual&ql=

Took a couple of seconds.

Beans

Okay, I tried to type in the ip adress in a new browser window and nothing happens, the page simply won't load anything at all.

Then I downloaded the manual and followed the instructions to try to get the printer and router to recognize eachother over wifi and then went to print a test page and wouldn't print anything so I checked Ubuntu task tray printer icon and it shows my printer status as "pending- not connected?".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you tried, in the printing window, 'Add Printer' then 'Network Printer'. You need to give it a minute or two to have a look so be patient. Does your wireless printer pop up there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
    Hi
    I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 (which I am new to) on a wireless laptop and was recently given a free printer. It is an HP Deskjet 3050. After much tinkering I have finally gotten it to print out a test page but I can't get it to connect to my computer's wireless home network so I can print from it. What are the steps necessary to get it to connect to my wireless laptop or wireless network router so I can print from it? I haven't got a users manual for it.

Thank you for any help
    Have you installed hplip & hplip-gui from the repositories? Usually HP is quite simple to install/configure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I agree with Kurt. After installing hplip, no more problems printing/scanning with my hp 4500. Maybe for some stuff you have to struggle a little with commands, but nothing complicated. In my particular case, I use the hplip-gui to print and command line to scan.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by El Tito View Post
    I agree with Kurt. After installing hplip, no more problems printing/scanning with my hp 4500. Maybe for some stuff you have to struggle a little with commands, but nothing complicated. In my particular case, I use the hplip-gui to print and command line to scan.

Good luck.
    I just loaded 12.04 on my laptop, replacing Windows 7 with Ubuntu Studio. This was the solution for me with my HP Deskjet 3050. My printer works like a charm.

Thank you Ubuntu Forums!
    ldsudduth
    2 Cor 5:17
    Therefore, , if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread closed

Reason:
    Problem solved a month ago and no need to resurrect thread, even though your thanks are appreciated and glad it worked for you both. HP is well supported now and the Linux community, I would imagine, supports them in turn. HPLip is about all you need for most stuff HP now.

Any further issues, please post a new thread.

PS: @ Punchy71; I have marked the thread as solved. If you are still having the original problem and think it isn't fixed mark thread as 'Unsolved' from 'Thread Tools' at the top right of this page.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 14th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.