Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Beans

Re: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Good idea, as long as it's stuck in its own optional plasmoid, and I can continue using the normal kickoff menu. I'm sure that's how they'll handle it, so this is good, even though I probably won't use it (I'll try it out when it hits the Arch main repos though)
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

This is old news.

AMD Athlon II x4 640 - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 - 12GB RAM - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB w/21.5" Monitor - Assorted HDDs - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120Gb SSD - [ArchLinux - Windows 7 - Mac OS X 10.6.8]
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    A) They don't look similar, at all, they function quite different as well.
    They both have an information bar on top with a Dash launcher on the upper left with your favorite app launchers lined up on the left side of the screen. Both of their Dashes bring up a shaded, full screen feature area where you can deal with running apps, tile/icon based menus, and virtual desktops. Both of them have extensions/lenses to extend functionality, which on both, is pretty much the only means of any customization. Yeah, you're right. They don't look similar at all.

Of course they have differences in looks and function. But to say they don't look similar at all is just stubbornness and sticking your head in the sand.

B) Explain to me, if they forced it on us, how are all of these other Ubuntu users using Gnome-Shell, KDE, XFCE, and other WM/DE's? Sounds like Canonical isn't very good at "forcing" something if that was their intent.
    On any distro you use, you're going to be able to add DEs. If you install Ubuntu, then install Gnome Shell, it's going to be tainted by all of the extra crap that Unity brings that is a royal pain in the backside to get rid of. But about all of the other flavors of Ubuntu, absolutely none of them are backed and developed by Canonical but the Unity version. Did you forget about how they dropped Kubuntu and basically got rid of their only Kubuntu developer because they wanted all of their development to go toward Unity? Yes, there are always going to be other options out there, but as far as Canonical is concerned, they're doing everything they can to railroad people into using Unity.

If you're going to make wild accusations like that, at least base them somewhere in reality instead of forrestcupp's dreamland.
    That's kind of uncalled for. I gave you my reasoning, and I sure don't think it is baseless.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Why is everything going so freakinly BIG these days.
    Yeah maybe for tablets, smaller screens..
    I do hope icons can be resized.

I liked the older KDE better.

Beans

Experimental PPA is now available for Kubuntu - there are some bugs so its great for testing:

https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/homerun

It can be run as a default shell or in "search and containment" mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

KDE is so great.

want a gnome 3 type launcher? use takeoff. Want unity-like? use Homerun (takeoff can be configured like it as well) Want classic? use the classic mode. Want something classic yet modern? Use lancelot. Want standard KDE? Use kicker etc.....

KDE is infinitely configurable. All the features clamored for in Unity, G3, xfce etc. are already there in KDE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345