Thread: Boot issues, need help ASAP!

Beans

Boot issues, need help ASAP!

I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 last night off USB drive, and installed it from said USB to my desktop last night. Now when I go to start the computer, it needs to boot off the USB, how can I get it to boot off the harddrive?

Beans

Re: Boot issues, need help ASAP!

This is just a guess, but what is your computer's BIOS set to boot from?

There is typically a boot order in the BIOS setup that tells your system to boot from a Hard Drive, CD/DVD ROM Disk, USB, etc. Try entering your BIOS (which varies with each system so if you don't know, try doing an Internet search for it. Typically F2 key, or Delete key, sometimes Insert key, etc)

Change the boot order so the Hard Drive is set to boot before the others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ JARRODIUS
    Welcome to the Fora.

If 'stevedude's advice does not work for you then try this.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

If that does not work either then post the url you will be given so we can see what is going on with your set up.

Thank you

Beans

The BIOS doesn't have an option to boot from the hard drive. I've tried setting it up so that it could and gone through all the options but my hard drive doesn't show up as a boot device. currently attempting boot repair...

Beans

update, still can't get it to boot off harddrive, whenever it boots from usb, RIGHT before it opens up after the loading screen for a split-second it displays a message saying "Ubuntu 12.10 ....97.845991[kum] disabled by bios" ... any idea what this means?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The bios HAS TO HAVE an option to boot from the hdd, that's basic that all bioses have.
    Also, the hdd HAS TO be recognized correctly in bios. If it's not there might be a problem with the hdd or the cables connecting it to the motherboard.

First double check these things because if it's not correctly recognized in bios there is no point to look further, it will not be presented correctly to the OS.

I am surprised how you managed to install at all if the hdd is not recognized in bios. Or you didn't install yet, only running from live mode.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit