Thread: download Libreoffice doesn't start install

Beans

download Libreoffice doesn't start install

Hi there, I'm new to Ubuntu. I browse Libreoffice webpage in Firefox and download the latest stable 3.6.3 version rather install from the Software Centre of Ubuntu which offers 3.6.2 rc only. After download the Debian version, it doesn't start installation but just open the gz to read inside the files and folders in the archive.

Pls advice.

Beans

Re: download Libreoffice doesn't start install

Quote Originally Posted by riowg View Post
    Hi there, I'm new to Ubuntu. I browse Libreoffice webpage in Firefox and download the latest stable 3.6.3 version rather install from the Software Centre of Ubuntu which offers 3.6.2 rc only. After download the Debian version, it doesn't start installation but just open the gz to read inside the files and folders in the archive.

Pls advice.
    I guess when you click the download button on LibreOffice site, you select "Open With" option in the download window. Instead select the Save option and then after download finishes, go to that location and unpack the .tar.gz archive. That shall give you the .deb package to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I would strongly suggest that you continue using the existing tested and integrated LO package in your Ubuntu, in case you want the latest, add the libreoffice ppa and wait for an upgrade to come through. If you are hellbent on getting the latest the you will need to do some command line work. First purge the libreoffice-core packages. Then unzip the downloaded package and via command line do a sudo dpkg -i *deb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you install via the command line you will also need to install the DESKTOP INTEGRATION package contained in the main folder. Then do not forget you will also need the Language package for the language you are using and the correct language Helppack.

Unless you are very certain about what you are doing, I agree you should stick with the current version.

Beans

I'm not really sure a little complicated command line installation. I want to upgrade to 3.6.3 because the menubar is missing in 3.6.2, and I'm not sure if the latest could solve the issue. But I'm afraid I may not get it done easily. Thanks for the replies.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pkadeel View Post
    I guess when you click the download button on LibreOffice site, you select "Open With" option in the download window. Instead select the Save option and then after download finishes, go to that location and unpack the .tar.gz archive. That shall give you the .deb package to install.
    I select Open rather Save for sure, because I didn't intend to save it and run it myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you have downloaded and saved the LibreOffice (LO) file then right click to open and extract to a temp directory. Probably the easiest thing next is to right click on the .deb file that was extracted and select open with Software Center. That will take care of the details.

Purging the OEM LO installation may be a good thing to do first.

Beans

I've the menubar recovered by following https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1062757, and so I'm not going to reinstall the whole package, though I'm ready to use 73ckn797's method. I've just learned a bit about reinstalling from Ubuntu. Thanks a lot for all the replies and instructions!