Thread: Mysterious shares

Beans

Mysterious shares

Recently, I had to do a full format and install to 12.04. Trying to do an upgrade from 11.04 through the update manager failed.

With this new install, I have downloaded Samba and installed it, but not performed any customisations to get things working. Mounted on the fstab is a drive formatted to ntfs and was in use on the previous o/s. A number of the directories on that Windows drive were and still are shared. I can not change them.

Under My previous installation, Samba was installed but I did the sharing through the Nautilus gui, not through smb.conf. My smb.conf on this new installation is pristine. If I go through the Nautilus gui, the Sharing Options shows the directories are not shared, yet from another computer on the network, I can open and manipulate these shares with the same privileges I had before as if Ubuntu 11.04 was the o/s.

I have tried manipulating the share through the gui, sharing the directory and then unsharing, to see if I can get control of the sharing working properly but to no avail

Can anyone point me in a direction to explain this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mysterious shares

try to install ubuntu from zero. download the ISO 12.04.1 LTS which is the most updated. Sometimes the upgrade are not very clean and they bring you some headaches later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mysterious shares

Quote Originally Posted by dwlamb View Post
    Recently, I had to do a full format and install to 12.04. Trying to do an upgrade from 11.04 through the update manager failed.

With this new install, I have downloaded Samba and installed it, but not performed any customisations to get things working. Mounted on the fstab is a drive formatted to ntfs and was in use on the previous o/s. A number of the directories on that Windows drive were and still are shared. I can not change them.

Under My previous installation, Samba was installed but I did the sharing through the Nautilus gui, not through smb.conf. My smb.conf on this new installation is pristine. If I go through the Nautilus gui, the Sharing Options shows the directories are not shared, yet from another computer on the network, I can open and manipulate these shares with the same privileges I had before as if Ubuntu 11.04 was the o/s.

I have tried manipulating the share through the gui, sharing the directory and then unsharing, to see if I can get control of the sharing working properly but to no avail

Can anyone point me in a direction to explain this?
    Samba shares that are created using Nautilus (usershares) are stored at /var/lib/samba. They are not configured with the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

As to your probem, I would delete the shares and recreate them,
    -BAB1