Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 bit... still recommended?

Beans

32 bit... still recommended?

Alright, so we're waaaaaaaaay late into 2012, and nearly to 2013. I just checked, and the currently latest version of Ubuntu, 12.10, still shows that 32 bit is the recommended version.

My question: Is 64 bit still not ideal for people with 64 bit systems to use? Are there still a lot of support issues?

Also, since I'm likely to be running KDE when I go back to running Linux as a daily driver, desktop OS, what is its present relationship with Ubuntu, and with 64 bit?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 32 bit... still recommended?

I don't really run into support issues at all, I use matlab all the time and they have 64 bit versions, so does google chrome and firefox. The only things that have problems are older games like doom 3 and quake 4, but if you install the ia32-libs they will run just fine.

Matlab is actually abandoning 32-bit completely starting with their 2013a I believe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, why they still have a dropdown defaulting to 32bit, is annoying. 64bit has been working fine.

As for KDE and Ubuntu here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEotr1Qi1bQ
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The only reason for this is that 32bit can be installed on either a 32bit or 64bit system and 64bit can only be installed on a 64bit system. This I believe is to help people with little understanding install Ubuntu onto their system.
    If a new user comes along and downloads the default 64bit version and can't install it on their machine, they are going to give up and move on. That's not what is wanted. We want them to play with it and stick with Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have ran into a few issues with 64-bit and using Wine when it wants 32-bit libraries... other than that 64-bit works really well for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

been using 64bit since 10.04, no problems
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madverb View Post
    The only reason for this is that 32bit can be installed on either a 32bit or 64bit system and 64bit can only be installed on a 64bit system. This I believe is to help people with little understanding install Ubuntu onto their system.
    If a new user comes along and downloads the default 64bit version and can't install it on their machine, they are going to give up and move on. That's not what is wanted. We want them to play with it and stick with Linux.
    +1
    Those people who don't know which machine they are using, most probably also don't know which version to download. All they know is to hit the download button. it is then a 50/50 chance and if the new OS fails to install properly, it will be another 5-10 years for Win and Mac users to come back and try again. I know cause I am one of those.

Back in 2000 when I had a little experience in PCs, I tried Red Hat and failed to install it properly and it took me 12 years to come back to try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post

Also, since I'm likely to be running KDE when I go back to running Linux as a daily driver, desktop OS, what is its present relationship with Ubuntu, and with 64 bit?
    I'd recommend using Kubuntu if you want Ubuntu with a KDE flavour.
    I am using 64-bit Kubuntu and it works well. The ia-32 libs get pulled in automatically if you install something that needs it with apt-get and this works without a hassle.
    I've been using 64-bit since 2005 or something, in that time the only problem was the lack of 64-bit Flash. Now it is 2012, Flash still sucks on Linux, but at least it sucks in 64 bits!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

64 is doggy
    my brother installed it in virtual box as 64 bit and it didn't work
    also it took 6 hours to download
    32 is fine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just go for 64 bit if you have a 64 bit processor. If it doesn't work you can always try 32 bit later. Since 12.04 I go for the 64 bit images and the only trouble were 32 bit games and that was solved, like mentioned, by installing ia32-libs.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast