Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft forces fragmentation - DirectX 11.1 exclusive to W8

Beans

Re: Microsoft forces fragmentation - DirectX 11.1 exclusive to W8

Fragmentation eh? I better ditch Windows and install Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Mandriva, Puppy, PCLinixOS, Edubuntu or Arch on my system. The question is, which desktop manager should I choose and which Kernel to I need to run my software?
    Last edited by mr john; November 15th, 2012 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Fragmentation eh? I better ditch Windows and install Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Mandriva, Puppy, PCLinixOS, Edubuntu or Arch on my system. The question is, which desktop manager should I choose and which Kernel to I need to run my software?
    This is true, but most applications will run just fine across them. Direct X is kind of a bigger deal than whether you run KDE or Gnome.

Beans

This is true, but most applications will run just fine across them. Direct X is kind of a bigger deal than whether you run KDE or Gnome.
    Ever tried running Firefox 16 out of the box on Ubuntu 10.4?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ever tried running Firefox 16 out of the box on Ubuntu 10.4?
    Runs fine for me. Firefox 16.0.2, in fact.

The only thing you need to do after a clean install of 10.04 is check for updates and that version will be installed.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OpenGL ftw.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    This is nothing new.
    DirectX 10 was Vista exclusive
    DirectX 8.1 was Windows XP exclusive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx#Releases
    /thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

so openGL is fully compatible with ubuntu 6.06?

the way i see it, is that linux is no different. i doubt all new games work with all Ubuntu version so far. usually oyu need to have this or that X installed and such things.

microsoft was preety backward compatible as well as the programmes running on it. if you try to run old linux porgramme you will get into problems. especially since the libraries will be misisng or will be hard to get.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I heard that Microsoft has years of technical debt due to their emphasis on backward compatibility. While it offered large advantages to windows application developers, it was probably unsustainable in the long run.
    windows 7 and windows 8 are very similar under the hood, there is no technical reason for them to make dx 11.1 win8 only, its totally abritrary.

I completely understood it when they made dx10 vista-only, because both vista and dx10 were total redesign, and dx10 was designed around vista's new driver model, so porting dx10 to xp wouldn't be feasible, but making 11.1 win8 only is ms just forcing it arbitrarily.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, on any of those distros you can run any Linux-based software, you just may need to pull a ton of dependencies.

It's different than forced obsolescence, like you find in the Apple and now Windows world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No game developers will decide in the next few months to release DirectX 11.1 games only.

As all new PC's being sold from now on will have windows 8 preloaded on them by the time some new FPS engine requires features only found on DirectX 11.1 hardware most gamers already have it installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast