Thread: I dislike "recent folders" in Oneiric

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I dislike "recent folders" in Oneiric

I just got strong-armed into upgrading to Oneiric by a notification that I'm about to stop receiving security updates for Natty. One of the (many) things I really hate about Oneiric is the way that many applications now default to using a "recent folders" pseudo-folder as the default location for saving and opening.

I really hate this and would like to disable it completely. It's inconvenient because when I'm trying to work in a single folder from within an application, I now have to perform additional mouse clicks to get back to where I was before.

I just want my file open/save dialogs to work the way they did in Natty. Any suggestions?

Currently using Ubuntu 11.10, primarily with the GNOME-fallback session (I also hate the bejeezus out of Unity), on a Sony VAIO, 2GB RAM, 2.2 GHz.
    Current box: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, Ubuntu Oneiric.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I hate "recent folders" in Oneiric

oneiric is EOL now choose to dist-upgrade.

about your issue, you probably already know about setting your default preferences via the menu, right ?
    you really dont need to care about how ubuntu internally works, its a non stop work in progress by the way; that is why the users have the "preferences" menu, so use it as you like.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post

about your issue, you probably already know about setting your default preferences via the menu, right ?
    you really dont need to care about how ubuntu internally works, its a non stop work in progress by the way; that is why the users have the "preferences" menu, so use it as you like.
    Upgrading, whilst important to some, won't solve the OP's issue.

I can't find any option in preferences that changes this behaviour (always show xyz directory instead of recent), could you please point to where this is?

To the OP: I'm afraid I don't believe there is a way to set the start point for nautilus for each application. However, you mention when in this particular app you always use the same directory, is it not listed in the recent directory lists (this one click away)?
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Oneiric's support ends in April 2013.

Beans
    Distro

Re: I dislike "recent folders" in Oneiric

Yes indeed, it was an upgrade that caused the problem to occur in the first place. Since I'm also affected by one of the "jerky mouse movement" bugs, just being a few clicks away from the folder I actually want can be a real inconvenience. I think I'm going to roll back to 10.04 LTS sometime in the foreseeable future.

If anyone's interested, my blog post on other things I hate about Oneiric: http://patrickbrianmooney.tumblr.com...ong-armed-into
    Current box: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, Ubuntu Oneiric.