Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 has built-in advertising

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows 8 has built-in advertising

Wow. Even more reason to avoid Windows 8 like the plague.

http://hothardware.com/News/Microsof...n-Advertising/

A new low for Microsoft. Unity's Amazon search results look pretty uninvasive compared to this.
    Thoughts?

Beans

Re: Windows 8 has built-in advertising

not surprised at all seeing how they did the same with the xbox dashboard. ubuntu amazon search is horrible as well imo but at least they have the excuse that the os is free and they need to recover some of the cost. windows 8 retails for $70 a pop. no excuse for this
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

in unity you can turn the amazon thing off, it is more of a integrated shopping feature than an add system,based on the above screen-shots in windows 8 you get useless adds completely unrelated to the task at hand
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The future of commercial software is subscription based and advertisement driven.

Beans
    Hidden!

To be honest, I use Windows 8 as my daily driver and I didn't even notice the ads until I read that article. They're way off on the right side of the app and not visible in the default view.

Just because the Amazon shopping integration isn't "as bad" as Windows 8 doesn't make it okay.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So, you 1st have to pay for Windows 8, and then you have to pay again with ads ? That's pay-ware and ad-ware combined.

Do their customers have a way to disable the ads and the tracking ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hosts-blocking those 3rd party adservers should solve the problem.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Adblock would work if we assume that Microsoft isn't serving the ads from their own servers. There's also the possibility of tracking, involved (as the article states).

I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not Microsoft's tracking the ads you are clicking on, but if that is indeed the case, we'll find out soon enough. Unlike Windows 7 and earlier, your entire Windows 8 account can be tied to an e-mail account, so it would be rather easy for Microsoft to track things on a personal level - much like how Google does with its search engine, e-mail and so forth. This alone gives good reason to be concerned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Completely ridiculous! Why do have to pay $70 for Win8 and then be smacked in the face again by ads? At what point do you "own" your desktop Microsoft?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Osirez View Post
    Completely ridiculous! Why do have to pay $70 for Win8 and then be smacked in the face again by ads? At what point do you "own" your desktop Microsoft?
    I would suggest you read the EULA. You don't own any software from Microsoft.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast