Thread: How do I delete a Launcher Icon and related Files

Beans

How do I delete a Launcher Icon and related Files

Using Ubuntu 12.10 and looking through the application lens, I've noted a few icons that should be deleted - they don't work properly as they're something I created myself. I need to delete those icons and their associated files but I don't know how. How do I delete those bad icons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: How do I delete a Launcher Icon and related Files

Start with the directory that you placed the icons in when you created them. I place my home made icons in an icons folder in pictures.

If the icons are appearing in Dash even though you have deleted them open the privacy application > recent items and delete history. You may have to log out/in for the changes to take effect.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Start with the directory that you placed the icons in when you created them. I place my home made icons in an icons folder in pictures.

If the icons are appearing in Dash even though you have deleted them open the privacy application > recent items and delete history. You may have to log out/in for the changes to take effect.
    I guess what I'm asking is where are the icons located within the File System? As root, I'll delete them from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The location in in the root file system is usr/share/icons. The custom icons would only be there if you put them there.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

You said that you created the icons, but not how or where, which should give you a clue where to remove them from.

You might be confusing icons with launchers. Icons you see in Dash, other than recently accessed or downloaded files, are typically desktop launchers that have an icon associated with them. The launchers are in /usr/share/applications owned by root.

If you installed MainMenu (alacarte) to make the launchers, maybe you could use that to delete them. You do not really want to remove system icons if one of the standard icons was used for your launchers.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

This answered my question and resolved my issue. I found the icons I was looking for and removed them promptly. The correct icon still remains. I appreciate the replies and your time. I bid you good day.