Thread: Can't get traffic to talk

Beans

Can't get traffic to talk

So let me do my best here to explain what I have going on.

At home I have 2 HP DL 385 G1. One is configured with ESXi and it has 1 NIC connected to the WAN and the other the LAN.
    Running on ESXi I have several VMs including my firewall which is made by Astaro (If you don't know what it is, go check them out www.astaro.com its free for home use) The Astaro has 3 Virtual NICs one for LAN, WAN and DMZ. The LAN and DMZ actually share the same physical NIC just different subnets.
    So now onto the other DL 385. This one is running Ubuntu 12.10 with KVM. Inside of KVM I have another Astaro machine running that is identical in configuration to the first. The reason for the second one is that its my standby so when I install updates on either the firewall or the ESXi host my internet stays up. So when a failover happens everything on the LAN functions just like it should, but if I'm outside of my network and I'm attempting to hit a website or something that goes from the DMZ to the LAN I cannot. I also cannot remote desktop from my DMZ machine to the LAN either. Now I can ssh in to a DMZ ubuntu machine that is on the same host but I can't go anywhere from there except to the host. So I'm at a loss here as to what I need to change in my configuration to get DMZ traffic to forward from my guest VMs through the DMZ back to the LAN. Here is a copy of my interfaces file
    Code:
    auto eth0 eth0:1
    iface eth0 inet static

iface eth0:1 inet static
        address 192.168.2.8
        network 192.168.2.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.2.255
        gateway 192.168.2.1

#LAN
    auto br0
    iface br0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.139
        network 192.168.1.128
        netmask 255.255.255.128
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.129
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_maxwait 0

#WAN
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet manual

auto br1
    iface br1 inet dhcp
            bridge_ports eth1
            bridge_stp off
            bridge_fd 0
            bridge_maxwait 0
    I do appreciate everyones help with this and I am sure that its probably just something stupid that I'm missing somewhere.
    Ubuntu on every computer in my house

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't get traffic to talk

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuzz4 View Post
    So I'm at a loss here as to what I need to change in my configuration to get DMZ traffic to forward from my guest VMs through the DMZ back to the LAN.
    I do appreciate everyones help with this and I am sure that its probably just something stupid that I'm missing somewhere.
    I suggest you get basic networking functioning on your Firewall device. The whole reason of a DMZ is to restrict traffic to the LAN.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way