Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is the old layout...dislike 12.04

Beans

Re: Where is the old layout...12.04 sucks

Ok, got it.
    I have vlc on the dash board (that icon with the ubuntu icon). It works when I click it. It will open terminal and launch program. But if I drag the icon to the left panel it will not launch with that icaon. How come?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fballem View Post
    Are you by chance migrating from 10.04?

If you are, then please be aware that much has changed
    It will take a while but I will check this info out. Thanks for it.

Beans

[QUOTE=jerome1232;12348341]One thing to note, Unity is very search driven, [QUOTE]

GEEZ!!! You guys gave me too much information. GO TO BED while I sort through this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    Ok, got it.
    I have vlc on the dash board (that icon with the ubuntu icon). It works when I click it. It will open terminal and launch program. But if I drag the icon to the left panel it will not launch with that icaon. How come?
    Adding a launch icon is pretty easy.

1) Start the program from the dash (you will only have to do this once).
    2) While the program is running, you will see the icon for the program on the launcher.
    3) Locate the icon on the launcher and right-click. A small menu will open up.
    4) In the icon menu, you will see an option to Lock to Launcher. Select that option and the icon will remain when you close the program.

Hope this helps, and I've already been to bed, so hopefully you have had a chance to start sorting this out (lol).
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Where is the old layout...dislike 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    Is it my imagination or does 12.04 suck. I can't find squat. Right now I need to find out where I can edit the execute command for an application. I used to go to the main menu edit area. Where is that located now. I can't find any menus except for the few items on the left dide of my desktop. The top icon shows lots of applications but no main menu.
    The "Sticky" post at the top of these forums explains how to get back to the old interface.

My 12.04 desktop is 95% identical to my old 10.04 one so I don't have to use a Touch Screen interface that is pretending to be useful for a desktop PC.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12