Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office software

Beans

Re: Office software

Not to mention anyone actually doing any form of actual research uses tex.

Was more interested in a package for "powerpoint" applications, slide shows etc.

Ive tried using latex addons for that but I just feel atm I'm to slow with it.

Just started using Libre Impress and can say am quite impressed, pardon the pun.

Last time I used an office suite in linux it was openoffice was surprised to see the switch.

Thanks for all your views, been interesting reading them so far.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The 2012 Softmaker Office Suite is a vast improvement over 2010 (in terms of MS Office compatibility) but I didn't update to 2012 and I've uninstalled 2010. My main gripe is that there's no auto-correct and it's lacking some basic refinements - like the ability to adjust the vertical toolbar using, well, the vertical toolbar. One has to do it through the menu. Still, you can test drive it and see what you think.

[Irrelevant Comment] Other than that, I'm still a fan of WordPerfect (a nearly extinct breed). It's light years ahead of MS Office in terms of ability to format a document. Unfortunately, none of the Wine derivatives, like Crossover, give a rat's butt about WP. It works on Crossover, but just a little attention would make it feel almost native. [/Irrelevant Comment]
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; November 10th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    Not everyone cares about MS office compatibility mate.

edit: and to be honest, I don't remember the last time an office document didn't open correctly. I don't use excel so I might be oblivious to stuff there.
    LibreOffice opens MS documents just fine. But it doesn't save them worth a crap, if you're saving in the new xml formats. The old Office 2003 formats work just fine, but unfortunately, Office now defaults to the new xml formats, which don't work well with LibreOffice.

@OP, I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but MS Office works great with Wine.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    LibreOffice opens MS documents just fine. But it doesn't save them worth a crap, if you're saving in the new xml formats. The old Office 2003 formats work just fine
    Open in xml and save in the old Office format then?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

LibreOffice opens MS documents just fine. But it doesn't save them worth a crap, if you're saving in the new xml formats. The old Office 2003 formats work just fine, but unfortunately, Office now defaults to the new xml formats, which don't work well with LibreOffice.

@OP, I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but MS Office works great with Wine.
    Export to pdf or odf then (MSO can open odf now or so they say). I can see the need to open MS documents but I don't know why you would want to save in MS formats which is closed, incompatible to anything else including maybe even other versions of MSO.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 11th, 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

LibreOffice doesn't seem to have any useful way to add sources and then call them up, do in-text citations, generate a Works Cited / References / etc. page, and so forth.

I agree that, if my college used foo instead of MS Word, then foo would be the more compatible solution. But, guess what: that's not the case. Sorry. So, I'm going to do what I need to do so as to ensure, when I write a paper for a class, my professor can take possession of that document with NO issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    LibreOffice doesn't seem to have any useful way to add sources and then call them up, do in-text citations, generate a Works Cited / References / etc. page, and so forth.

I agree that, if my college used foo instead of MS Word, then foo would be the more compatible solution. But, guess what: that's not the case. Sorry. So, I'm going to do what I need to do so as to ensure, when I write a paper for a class, my professor can take possession of that document with NO issues.
    You won't get "NO issues" even with MS Office, especially with different versions or on different machines with different Windows. The closest you will get to a format with no rendering issues will be to use PDF. In that case, LibreOffice and the others beat MSO hands down.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

There is Apache OpenOffice (used to be OpenOffice.org). I prefer LibreOffice, though, because of licensing and other things. The Calligra Suite, which rose out of the ashes of KOffice, is quite nice. It's my suite of choice, although it doesn't have all the features of LO yet. There is also FocusWriter, the GnomeOffice collection of software, etc.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post

Well I got issue with MS EXCEL when I was a TA for some courses. Prof sent me a grading sheet in EXCEL and I opened it with a different version of EXCEL and the formatting was all screwed up. I went to talk to him and suggested to use OpenOffice instead because unless he paid for it he shouldn't assume I have MSO. He smiled and agreed that I had a point so OpenOffice it was.He switched to OOO himself too (That was before LibreOffice and the Document Foundation)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 11th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

And the other problem is that MS Word refuses to translate ODF documents correctly, even though it is perfectly capable of being able to.

The attitude that created the Word Perfect and Netscape sabotage has not yet disappeared.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast