Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sabayon vs ubuntu

Beans

Re: Sabayon vs ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I would try manjaro linux. Because it's arch, but without all the work required to set arch up. (No GUI on first boot)

http://www.manjaro.org
    +1 Another happy user here although I do a netinstall so it's pretty much the same as the Arch process where you have to do everything yourself.

The reason why I use manjaro over arch is that there are way less updates (I have a limited data plan) and the updates you do get have already gone through their testing repos before being moved to stable. They take arch packages, move them to manjaro testing repos, test, wait and see if all is well and if it is they move them to manjaro stable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Why would I want a rolling installation, if I can have rolling release without installations or big point upgrades? You do know the difference between in-place upgrade and rolling release, do you? The thread you are mentioning is more about customizing a desktop environment in the next Ubuntu release than about a rolling release model, unless I get something wrong.
    These big point upgrades, until the day of final release are in the so-called rolling situation, just like the Arch stuff. All what Arch devs won't say is that, at anytime, the Arch repos are always in the Alpha state. Have you noticed how many times for last few months Arch devs had released "distribution releases?"

Did it ever cross your mind, why so many "distribution releases" in such a short span of time? That's because the stuff that Arch has in their repos are not-sure stuff, so it is always in the Alpha state.

Okay, now take the Arch Linux 2011-08-19 iso, which was supposed to be rolling one until someone woke up and changed it, and install it in a free partition, and try to update it. You won't be able to update it. Period!

Since that last "stable" Arch release of 2011-08-19, there had been five "stable" Arch releases; 2012-07-15, 2012-08-04,2012-09-07, 2012-10-06, 2012-11-01

Rolling release?!
    Or the Arch Devs rolls "stable" releases every month?!!!
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 11th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

With Ubuntu, every six months you get a tried release so its kind of safe rolling. Also many rolling don't really have latest of everything, for instance Chakra has older Intel drivers as their priority lies elsewhere, in that case Ubuntu has newer and with ppa latest.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    With Ubuntu, every six months you get a tried release so its kind of safe rolling. Also many rolling don't really have latest of everything, for instance Chakra has older Intel drivers as their priority lies elsewhere, in that case Ubuntu has newer and with ppa latest.
    That's correct!
    Even, the Raring repos have tested apps in it. Ubuntu devs won't put anything that's not tested in them. Until such time they'd release the final in April, they'd say don't use this on prodcution machines, but this time they had not said that. You can see that here; http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

You can take any Ubuntu-clone and upgrade it to Raring!
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 11th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I did my first installations on a spare machine. Anyways, I would always suggest that there is a second machine available to read the documentation. Its impossible to print all the stuff you need for installation.
    Another thing is that you need a good internet connection. The installation medium is pretty small, just what is needed to get a bootable system. All the software to be installed is pulled from the repositories during install time.
    This describes my situation, I have an older restored laptop that is linux
    dedicated so i can learn, usually by trial and error the linux OS. If it crashes all i
    have lost is time.
    Regarding downloads, i use the public library network if i have extensive downloading as it works better than my private network and of course it's free.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    +1 Another happy user here although I do a netinstall so it's pretty much the same as the Arch process where you have to do everything yourself.

The reason why I use manjaro over arch is that there are way less updates (I have a limited data plan) and the updates you do get have already gone through their testing repos before being moved to stable. They take arch packages, move them to manjaro testing repos, test, wait and see if all is well and if it is they move them to manjaro stable.
    I appreciate the input mips. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you noticed how many times for last few months Arch devs had released "distribution releases?"
    There is no such thing as a distribution release in Arch and nobody using Arch is talking about this. Please carefully read the release announcements:

https://www.archlinux.org/news/novem...dia-available/

They are talking about a "snapshot", meaning it reflects the state of the repositories at the time of release to reduce problems due to the frequent updates.

Okay, now take the Arch Linux 2011-08-19 iso, which was supposed to be rolling one until someone woke up and changed it, and install it in a free partition, and try to update it. You won't be able to update it. Period!
    And thats why install media is released on a monthly basis. If you want to install you are expected to download the latest version of the install media.

Since that last "stable" Arch release of 2011-08-19, there had been five "stable" Arch releases; 2012-07-15, 2012-08-04,2012-09-07, 2012-10-06, 2012-11-01
    So what? I haven't installed my desktop for the last 8 month, so don't care about how often install media are released. It seems you don't understand the concept: install once and upgrade continuously.

Rolling release?!
    As already said, you don't understand the concept. I would suggest you read the Wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e_available.3F

Beans

Rolling release?!
    As already said, you don't understand the concept. I would suggest you read the Wiki.
    Here is the Arch "distribution" releases. The Arch devs announced their "distribution releases" through this web site...

Those are clickable links, so check yourself, and why the "distribution releases." One for each month for the last five months!

They are not sure of their Alpha base!
    It can break at any time with every pacman -Syu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 12th, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    That's correct!
    Even, the Raring repos have tested apps in it. Ubuntu devs won't put anything that's not tested in them. Until such time they'd release the final in April, they'd say don't use this on prodcution machines, but this time they had not said that. You can see that here; http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

You can take any Ubuntu-clone and upgrade it to Raring!
    and don't forget the ppas with exception of few like libreoffice which is among the slowest to get updates usually helps keeping your system up to date in a safer realm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You do realize that you are posting a screenshot from distrowatch, do you? These announcements are NOT from Arch, they are from distrowatch. If you would have read the original release announcement

https://www.archlinux.org/news/novem...dia-available/

you would have found this:

The latest snapshot of our install and rescue media can be found on our Download page. The 2012.11.01 ISO image mainly contains minor bug fixes, cleanups and new packages compared to the previous one:

• First media with Linux 3.6
    • copytoram=n can be used to not copy the image to RAM on network boot. This is probably unreliable but an option for systems with very low memory.
    • cowfile_size boot parameter mainly for persistent COW on VFAT. See the README file for details.

Nowhere is it talking about "release", just because there Archlinux has no releases. Arch is not to be made responsible what other sites such as distrowatch are posting.

I have no idea what your problem with Arch is, but it seems to be something deeply personal. Thats ok for me, but I will leave this thread now because it doesn't lead to anything.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast