Thread: Which Distro for Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz? Advice Needed

Beans

Which Distro for Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz? Advice Needed

Hello,

What would be the best distribution and office suite for this:
    I want to give a Powerboot G4 (1.5 Ghz 2GB RAM) a second life as a general purpose machine.
    For the office stuff I thought about LibreOffice, or Calligra Office (if the recent 2.5.3 is really that good, could not try it). Easy file exchange with MS Office is a must.
    Long term support and low extra work would be nice -- I'd like to use it really for productivity.

So far I tried
    - Lubuntu 12.04 and Kubuntu 12.04: install OK, Calligra only installs v2.4 which mostly crashes, and no LTS
    - Lubuntu 12.10: the live CD crashes during boot
    - Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't exist for PPC (or did I miss it?)
    - Ubuntu 12.04: several issues. Calligra as above, WLAN firmware missing, apparently no way to scroll with the trackpad (as with iScroll unter MacOS), Dock always visible, and fans roaring all the time.

What should I do? Give up on the idea? Use older versions? Would they work with current applications?

Thanks for any ideas to consider!
    powerlux

Beans

Re: Which Distro for Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz? Advice Needed

I'd like to second that question for my 1st post here.

I have a 2004 Powerbook G4 1.33GHz 768MB 12", hard drive in the process of dying, would like to be able to run a Live Desktop thing (boot from CD/USB pendrive and run from RAM, not HDD), looking into the various flavours of Ubuntu for PowerPC proc. (like the one's mentionned in above post) but no luck so far: either the display is distorted or it shows "psychedelic colours" (unbearable/unusable), or there's a bug that prevents boot up to complete, or the distro doesn't even show up as bootable, etc...

So same question here : is there a version of Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Kubuntu (or any other Linux distro) that is *known* to work as a Live Desktop on the Powerbook model mentionned above ?

TIA.
    Last edited by peezee13; November 23rd, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by powerlux View Post
    Hello,

What would be the best distribution and office suite for this:
    I want to give a Powerboot G4 (1.5 Ghz 2GB RAM) a second life as a general purpose machine.
    For the office stuff I thought about LibreOffice, or Calligra Office (if the recent 2.5.3 is really that good, could not try it). Easy file exchange with MS Office is a must.
    Long term support and low extra work would be nice -- I'd like to use it really for productivity.

So far I tried
    - Lubuntu 12.04 and Kubuntu 12.04: install OK, Calligra only installs v2.4 which mostly crashes, and no LTS
    - Lubuntu 12.10: the live CD crashes during boot
    - Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't exist for PPC (or did I miss it?)
    - Ubuntu 12.04: several issues. Calligra as above, WLAN firmware missing, apparently no way to scroll with the trackpad (as with iScroll unter MacOS), Dock always visible, and fans roaring all the time.

What should I do? Give up on the idea? Use older versions? Would they work with current applications?

Thanks for any ideas to consider!
    powerlux
    If you really didn't like Lubuntu then you need to keep in mind that Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu will all be slower. Ubuntu 12.04 would be the best for all round usage and capability. Kubuntu is the slowest of the group in my experiences and Xubuntu has really been neglected on the PowerPC the last couple years.

As for peezee13's question I will ignore that since they are just piggybacking onto your question and thread. This is quite rude and intrusive in internet culture incase peezee is not aware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by powerpcliberation View Post
    As for peezee13's question I will ignore that since they are just piggybacking onto your question and thread. This is quite rude and intrusive in internet culture incase peezee is not aware.
    oh well, excuse me Sir, my request is so very close to the OP's one that I thought I'd better not create a new topic to avoid cluttering the forum with quasi similar questions - not to mention that the OP's topic was already buried in page 4 so that my response/question would also help revive it...

Really, never thought this would get me a "rude" grade...

So, I suppose I should post my question in a different topic, right ? I'm new to this forum so if this is the etiquette here, no pbm at all of course, I will. (this is a question addressed mainly to the Admin's/Moderators, or to s'one with substantial longevity here ^^).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

updated info not needed after all
    Last edited by powerpcliberation; December 29th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

At the following link you'll can find a list of linux distros which run on ppc processors:
    http://penguinppc.org/about-2/distributions/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sad to say but it looks like Arch Linux PPC is dead. The site has been down for the last 3-4 months.
    PowerPC Liberation
    Liberating the greatest computer architecture ever created.