Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NWN Diamond dvd working in 12.10 yey! 64bit movies to

Beans

Re: NWN Diamond dvd working in 12.10 yey! 64bit movies to

mactalla: as Colsta told: you deserve a special prize. It worked here too! The question is: why? why does it work this way?

Beans

And vanquishedangel, your setup for hardware mouse worked very good here too. I was slowly and jumping. Now it's good. No movies here. I dont need them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I had to rely on 32-bit libraries installed by PlayOnLinux in ~/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.4-dos_support_0.5, and copied libSDL-1.2.so.0, libesd.so.0, libdirectfb-1.2.so.0, libfusion-1.2.so.0, libdirect-1.2.so.0, libaa.so.1, libaudiofile.so.0 to ~/nwn, and had to rename a couple before ./nwn would start the game on my 14.04 64-bit box.

BUT: It did work. Big thanx to PlayOnLinux for making the libraries available, since installing 32-bit programs on a 64-bit system is problematical, and ia32-libs is no more.

EDIT: I have made up a small .rar file of the needed libs. without which ./nwn complained of missing libraries. Extract these to your nwn folder, and the game will run on a 64-bit box. Here's the link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/NWN_libs.rar. Let me know if this works for anyone.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; April 9th, 2014 at 02:44 AM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I had to rely on 32-bit libraries installed by PlayOnLinux in ~/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.4-dos_support_0.5, and copied libSDL-1.2.so.0, libesd.so.0, libdirectfb-1.2.so.0, libfusion-1.2.so.0, libdirect-1.2.so.0, libaa.so.1, libaudiofile.so.0 to ~/nwn, and had to rename a couple before ./nwn would start the game on my 14.04 64-bit box.

BUT: It did work. Big thanx to PlayOnLinux for making the libraries available, since installing 32-bit programs on a 64-bit system is problematical, and ia32-libs is no more.

EDIT: I have made up a small .rar file of the needed libs. without which ./nwn complained of missing libraries. Extract these to your nwn folder, and the game will run on a 64-bit box. Here's the link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/NWN_libs.rar. Let me know if this works for anyone.

epic thank you, I left trying to get it working natively because of the aging native dependencies, but this fix you have could very well be a more permanent fix. I will try to post this in the bioware EA forums for this game. I just started to get it working through playonlinux because this game needed another route.

To get it working with playonlinux or wine with an ATI card you have to rename the nwnmain.exe to nwnmain2.exe and start from that file. ATI cards will force their own graphics settings when it sees the nwnmain.exe being run and those settings dont work with wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Glad it worked!

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

After getting this sorted out on 12.04, I recently tried upgrading to 14.04. With no other changes, now Neverwinter Nights 'crashes' on start exactly like the problem described here. I hadn't realised prior to going ahead that ia32-libs had been removed between the two versions, so on re-visiting this thread I was hopeful that using oldrocker99's lib pack solution described above would resolve the problem. Unfortunately it made no difference, nor did any of the various suggestions offered in answer on the other thread. Just to make sure I tried the latest Intel drivers also without success. The game takes a bit of a perfomance hit under Wine on this machine so I would prefer to run native if at all possible. Perhaps anyone that has used the above method to get the game working again can tell me whether they are using an Intel iGPU or discrete graphics? oldrocker99: when you say about the libs you added that you "had to rename a couple before ./nwn would start the game on my 14.04 64-bit box" what did you have to rename exactly?

Has anyone any other thoughts on this at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

One thing to do (it's been several months that I did this) is to open a terminal and ./nwn. If libraries are missing, they should be named. You can then install libname-i386 and then see which library it then needs. Did you see the Dropbox link in my April post? That should contain all the 32-bit libraries you need. Here it is again:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/NWN_libs.rar

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Sorry - lack of clarity on my part probably. I had already tried adding the libraries from your rar archive (although I still don't know which if any you had to rename in order to get things to work). Likewise I had already tried starting the game from a terminal with the same result as from the icon: that is no obvious errors or notification of libraries missing, nwmain starts but just runs as a process in the background with no graphical output unfortunately. Incidentally, since my last comment and on a whim, I tried installing xfce and running the game that way but with the same result. Still stumped

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I hate to dredge up an old thread, but trying to get this working on ubuntu gnome 15.04, and the mouse won't work in the game. I carried over a working install from a few years back, but it stopped working after upgrading to 14.10. I did a clean install, minus movies at this point, and have the same problem, the mouse won't move at all, with hardware or software cursor. Not completely breaking, like not being able to use the mouse, but really annoying, the game disables my secondary monitor and I have to re-enable it under display afterwards, also my main display's res gets changed to whatever the game is set to run at.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

After upgrading from 12.04 I'm sorry to say that I never managed to get it running satisfactorily on 14.04 64-bit. It got to the point where I realised I was spending all my time reading trying to find the magic combo of libs/fixes to get it to run natively again rather than actually enjoy playing it! Although it goes against the grain I relented and installed it under Wine using Play on Linux where at least it performs flawlessly. I figured if I was that worried about it I could always install it under a dedicated 32-bit install on another partition [but not thus far ].

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234