Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FREE python programmer

Beans

Re: FREE python programmer

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

Originally Posted by mevun
    "I just want to say that there's no compelling reason to learn GUI programming with python (which has to use a third party library like tkinter anyway)."

I don't agree with this statement at all. Unless you are programming winAPI or official .Net, almost every language you would use needs a 3rd party library for GUI. Even Java uses Swing, which technically is 1st party, but it's still a separate library. Any native Linux GUI programming is going to use 3rd party libraries, mainly Qt or Gtk+, with any programming language you would choose. So if you're already going to use a GUI toolkit or framework, why not use the language of your choice?

Python is not my personal number one choice, but there are reasons to use it for GUI programming. Mainly, if Python is what you are proficient in, and there is a good wrapper for your choice of GUI libs.
    Although, I am not saying not to learn GUI programming, I think that it is better to learn a web-based GUI (HTML5/Javascript) instead because of the trend toward cloud-based apps.

However, what I did not express clearly enough with respect to my quoted statement is: Learn python language features, not how to provide a GUI, because a CLI interface (namely the 'getopts' module) would be quicker to develop and sufficient for many purposes*. I did not mean to suggest that GUI programming is non-compelling because of the requirement of a third party library.

* Of course, there are some applications which naturally use a 2-d interface like those with maps, diagrams, or statistical charts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    Don't know what to think. Working on the WCOA database currently. I've gotten it all written just having trouble reading the database into the program after it's been written to a file.
    you asked if anyone wanted a script written, I asked for you to write me one and now you say "don't know what to think." Do you or do you now want to help others with scripts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    you asked if anyone wanted a script written, I asked for you to write me one and now you say "don't know what to think." Do you or do you now want to help others with scripts?
    Yes I do LOL but you're not an employer. So you can't complain about something that's free. I am trying to work with the skills I have and expand upon them. I don't know what to think of your idea because I don't know how to go about it yet. So, logically the phrase "I don't know what I think about it" still applies.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Python scripted Zenity (ftw). K I won't mention it again.. lol.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123