Thread: Unity launcher disappearing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Unity launcher disappearing

Hi there, first time posting!

Let me first explain what is cause of the problem, so you guys can maybe better help me out.

I have my monitor attached to my DVI port and my TV attached to my HDMI port on ATI graphics card. When my computer is turned on before the TV, and the TV after (few mins, hours, no matter), for some reason (this is regardless of the OS, happens on Windows too) in the moment that the TV is about to show the picture, my monitor goes blank for a 2-3 sec. And thats ok, I guess its an ATI thing, it doesn't bother me. But, after my monitor turns on again, the Unity launcher disappears. The global menu is still there, and I can bring up the HUD using the shortcut key on my keyboard, but the icons and the launcher itself is invisible.

Note: This happens no matter if I currently have Clone Screen on or Single Display. Also When ever this happens, I get an error message, how resolution cant be set or something, cant remember exactly, but I can reproduce the error if its needed.

So, my question is, can I prevent this from happening (launcher disappearing), or if not, can I at least bring it back again without needing to logout and log back in?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity launcher disappearing

We have to make some assumptions because you do not provide the information. You are using 12.04? You have Launcher Auto-hide set to Off?

You should also realise that Ubuntu sets the correct video settings by probing the Monitor during boot to get the optimum resolutions and not from reading a script.

What happens if you switch on both monitor and TV before booting the computer? You may need to create a display profile that can be used by the OS.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, totally forgot to mention. I'm running 12.10 (but was the same on 12.04), and yes, Auto-hide is off.

Monitor is always on, I'm not switching it off at any point (ofc it goes into sleep mode when computer is off), but its only the computer and the TV that I switch off.

If I was to turn the TV on first and then the computer, then such thing wouldn't happen, all would be fine. Like I said, its not the problem for me, I dual boot Win 7 and the same thing happens there - monitor turns off for few secs when I turn on the TV, only difference is there is no error message nor does anything disappear over there.
    Last edited by Thee; November 9th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Here is the error message I get when I turn on the TV:

Could not switch the monitor configuration

required virtual size does not fit available size: requested=(3840, 1080), minimum=(320, 200), maximum=(1920, 1920)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Could be a graphics card/driver issue. Please give the output of
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro

Here's the output:

Code:
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Barts PRO [Radeon HD 6800 Series]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: 00
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
           resources: irq:51 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fdec0000-fdedffff ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fde00000-fde1ffff