Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help booting from USB

Beans

Re: Help booting from USB

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Threads merged.
    Please do not start multiple threads for the same problem, it dilutes the community's ability to help. Please also keep in mind that we have people reading this forum who have a wide range of tolerance for "naughty" words, so try to avoid language that could trip our word filter.
    Sorry about that. I did wait 12 hours without any replies before I tried again in a different forum. I use my computer for business so have been quite stressed about this and jumping the gun somewhat. My apologies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you are having problems with the installer from PendriveLinux, try Unetbootin or better yet Startup Disk Creator from the Live USB.

I have also had problems with a Live install asking for passwords, I figure it is due to a corrupt iso.

Has your hard drive been making a clicking sound?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    try Unetbootin or better yet Startup Disk Creator from the Live USB.
    A big +1 to Startup disk creator also. Just be aware you'll need a separate usb card/drive and the downloaded iso if you are running the live session from usb rather than cd.

For alternates and possible driver issues, see my previous post.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

on my site the first page walks you threw the live install on usb then just mount the hard drive and pull what you need assuming your hard drive is still in working order . unetbootin also has other fixes for hard drives. Donate the 10 to ubuntu.
    this isnt window usually advise is free
    http://ubuntutheotheros.webs.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Depending on your level of ability, and whether or not you've got another PC laying around, it might be far easier to physically remove the HDD from the one that won't start and slave it to another PC.

If I read it right, the sick unit is XP? That means the HDD is very likely to be PATA. You know, the big, wide ribbon cable for data rather than the skinny SATA cable. SATA's been around for about 10 years, so it could be either.

If it's a SATA drive, and you can get your hands on a dock, it'd be simple to access the data from another PC.

If it's PATA, then probably easier to open up another older PC and slave it to the motherboard.

If you just want a LiveCD environment, I'd suggest Knoppix rather than the full-blown Ubuntu LiveCD. Knoppix is designed for exactly what you describe.

If the PC freaks out when you access the HDD via a LiveCD (screen flickering, crashes) then I'd suggest getting the HDD out of that rig and plugging it into some other rig. You could have a failing power supply or motherboard or etc. that's going to keep messing with you as long as you're trying to use the sick PC. If it's an old XP PC, you probably want to take the side case off and look for bad capacitors anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12