Thread: On using Linux and community involvement

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

On using Linux and community involvement

After ~ 2 years of using Linux in the form of *buntu I noticed a huge difference compared to Windows in the level of commitment and community. I'm not talking about contributing directly in the form of code here yet or even bug reporting. Simply the fact that you join a couple of forums / news sites just to talk about this (then) new operating system. Learning new stuff, asking for help and helping others once you know more.

When I was using Windows I read a couple of tech oriented sites now and then but never a dedicated forum. Simply didn't feel the need to visit such places although they exist.

At first it was great (so much discussion going on) but now it looks like it's very hard (for me!) to separate using Linux and reading/discussing it on various forums and news sites. Regarding Ubuntu alone there are local forums, Omg! Ubuntu, Reddit and of course this wondeful forum. Thing is I'd want to become a 'normal user'. Just a person who uses Linux at home to get things done. I find myself spending way too much time on Linux related online communities. I' m getting some things done but the most time is spent ... writing and reading about Linux/Ubuntu. Sure, that's for most part a personal issue of me (and I' m already seeking help) unrelated to the operating system at hand. However the experience of using Linux on your desktop is certainly enhanced by a community like this.

Am I the only one who feels too much time is going into Linux one way or another? That Linux has a very addictive side that can seriously interfere with the rest of your life if one is not careful? Again that's not just Linux this applies to many subjects however... however... Here' s my point: The very nature of Linux distros entices one to participate. Hopefully one day I will succeed in becoming the /care type of user. The one who doesn't feel the need to read about Gnome Shell, Unity, KDE and the whole bunch but just uses Linux for useful things.

I hope someone here, even if remotely, understands what I'm saying. Thanks for reading regardless of that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: On using Linux and community involvement

I am sorry. I missed your post completely. I was busy doing stuff on my computer.

Yes. Forum posting is addictive, I find. All I wanted to do was give a little bit back for the gift of Ubuntu.

But do not worry. A quick look around the forum and you will notice that the are many Ubuntu users who only post when they have a problem, or when they don't know how to do something. Some seem to think that we are paid to do this.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Some seem to think that we are paid to do this.
    I've been wondering why that check was taking so long to get here.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    <snip>
    All I wanted to do was give a little bit back for the gift of Ubuntu.
    </snip>
    Amen to that! To me this place is like a big take a penny, leave a penny cup (wonder if they have that in other countries and if the phrase will translate?), and I still owe quite a lot to the community at large.

I will say, though, that the more time I spend, the more I learn and the more productive I become in the end. There once was a time when I would copy a table of data from a Linux server to a Windows computer, open it in Excel, do some manipulating (remove columns of unnecessary data, do a couple quick calculations), and then try to merge it with some other table that I had to pull from a server and manipulate in Excel. Now, I can do most of that with a few short Linux commands, saving me tons of time! So, the time I spend is a good investment to productivity I think

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Something compels me to post.

I don't know what, I don't know why. But something forces a strong urge to post.

It might be the 'we're all in this together' aspect of the community.

And it might be my way of giving back, whatever I can.

It's somewhat soul-satisfying.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Lets suppose you are talking common sense , most people do have it ,

most Linux users can see beyond the blinding.

A spade is a spade , nothing more and nothing less.

Most will not misunderstand what you are trying to express.

Welcome to world of Linux and Ubuntu.

Only misgiving I have about Ubuntu is , That this *am "D" Spell checker still can't Spell

Ubuntu....there again Im am not .. they spent more time making orange orangier ..!!
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Oh, I understand what you are getting at with my time on the computer.

My friends (Mac and Windows users), really can't appreciate the pleasure of learning something, like linux allows one to learn. (most things for them are done for the normal user, without having to learn much).

On the social part of the community; I suppose it is not much different than my friends who, are twitting and face-paging each other.

It does become addictive and I am at times guilty of spending time on the computer, when I should be as an example, sleeping to be alert at work. The more I learn though, the less time it takes to do something, and the less time taken, figuring out how to something the best way for me, (so many ways to do things in Linux). It is fun to investigate the possibilities. Trouble is, there is always more to learn!

Mostly, I see it as a hobby. Like everything, it is good in moderation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, I went and attended to a real-life thing. But, while I was there, I kept on thinking about this.

I should have mentioned, that I grew up in a rural/farming setting and appreciate others helping others. I am a democrat, believe in the co-op movement and was instantly drawn to the Ubuntu name (once, I found out what it meant). The principles of FLOSS, are in line with my values.

I guess, one other thing. Linux is practical, something I respect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    My friends (Mac and Windows users), really can't appreciate the pleasure of learning something, like linux allows one to learn.
    I think you've just discovered something very valuable.

I first started using Ubuntu because I just liked the way it works: easy enough to use, robust, secure, and you can't beat the price.

But then I discovered the community. THAT was what hooked me. As a community project, something very special happens when the primary reason people get together is to freely share stuff. I've enjoyed my Mac user group meetings over the years, but I've never had more fun than at my local Linux gatherings. And the helpful folks in this forum have been valuable for not only solving problems, but also in their enjoyable correspondence.

Along the way, I found something else: Linux is as flexible as my imagination. To the degree that I can learn, I can do darn near anything I want with it. This has become a key part of not just my use of Ubuntu on my laptops, but even in my professional life since so much of the work I do as a developer increasingly involves servers, where Linux shines even more brightly.

If one wants to simply use an OS, Ubuntu's UI, the Software Center, and this helpful forum make that easy.

But it seems the problem you have is similar to my own: you've become addicted to learning, and now you can't stop yourself.

Welcome aboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Forums and websurfing are a hobby/time killer for me. linux is a hobby for me. But I don't obsess over it.

This computer doesn't have usb boot so I don't think I'll be doing ubuntu any longer. But I'll still check these forums.