Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 not booting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu 12.10 not booting

Hi, I downloaded 12.10 image and tried to boot from it. But whenever I try (irrespective of medium DVD/USB), it shows a message "secure boot not enabled" and screen blanks. I waited more than 10 minutes hoping it would switch to some second handler if any. But it didn't.

My machine is Lenovo Ideapad Z570, and it has no option to enable or disable UEFI. Please Help. Ubuntu 12.04, Mint Maya are working fine.
    Last edited by PraveenP; November 8th, 2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: better

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu 12.10 not booting

Hi, PraveenP. Did you use Startup Disk Creator to ensure making your CD/USB bootable? The image file alone can't boot your system. If you're already well aware of this, my apologies.
    Last edited by alkh3myst; November 8th, 2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 not booting

I have no experience with Secure Boot, but here's what I've gleaned from a little net searching:

Secure Boot is a feature Microsoft requires all manufactures shipping their products with Win8 to put on their machines. It's designed to prevent a modified OS from booting, but has the side effect (or intended effect?) of preventing an alternative OS from being enabled.

I believe there should be a way to disable this in your BIOS, but as I said, I'm not familiar with Secure Boot.

Unfortunately, community support for Secure Boot is still somewhat lacking, as machines shipping with Win8 are still a relatively new phenomenon.

You may want to have a gander at this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081670
    Last edited by newb85; November 8th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alkh3myst View Post
    Hi, PraveenP. Did you use Startup Disk Creator to ensure making your CD/USB bootable? The image file alone can't boot your system. If you're already well aware of this, my apologies.
    No, I am not. I remember old versions' images are bootable. I was able to directly reach live session from booting CD. I created my USB by UNetBootin. It is well capable of making bootable drives. I did create bootable drives for even Core plus and puppy using that software. More than that, if bios cannot find a bootable medium, it will display an error showing that. Here the error message is "Secure boot not enabled".

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    I believe there should be a way to disable this in your BIOS, but as I said, I'm not familiar with Secure Boot.

Unfortunately, community support for Secure Boot is still somewhat lacking, as machines shipping with Win8 are still a relatively new phenomenon.
    I think my BIOS is also not familiar with Secure Boot. And also it is not a windows 8 pc, I bought it in March, before this secure boot crap era.
    Last edited by PraveenP; November 8th, 2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: +

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

I would not be surprised if Secure Boot capable hardware was being sold before windows 8 was released.

Ubuntu 12.10 is the first Linux distribution that should install on a Secure Boot motherboard. This blog post might not make things any clearer. You should be able to install 12.10 without Secure Boot enabled.

http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/bl..._Ubuntu_12.10/

Does the installer give you an option to use UEFI or BIOS?

Another thought has just entered my head. Perhaps this error message is nothing to do with the problem. 12.10 must check and report if Secure Boot is enabled or not. Perhaps the issue of the blank screen is to do with the video card.

You could try running the DVD with the nomodeset option selected.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 8th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Another thought has just entered my head. Perhaps this error message is nothing to do with the problem. 12.10 must check and report if Secure Boot is enabled or not. Perhaps the issue of the blank screen is to do with the video card.
    I think you're right. Having not yet installed 12.10, I didn't know it would report whether secure boot was enabled on the hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I would not be surprised if Secure Boot capable hardware was being sold before windows 8 was released.

Does the installer give you an option to use UEFI or BIOS?
    It looks like my laptop machine is not Secure Boot capable. I cannot find an option to use UEFI or BIOS.

You could try running the DVD with the nomodeset option selected.
    It has optimus. I tried both options "Optimus" and "UMA only". Failed.

Grub to is not loading (or not visible), so I am not able to add nomodeset there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Press any key when you see the little man and keyboard, then press F6, and select nomodeset from the list, and continue booting.

Beans
    Distro

It shows the earlier said message only.

Beans
    Distro

Hey! I did boot from USB drive. Just opened the USB medium from existing installation. And edited
    /boot/grub/grub.cfg

removed
    Code:
    if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
        set gfxmode=auto
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod gfxterm
        terminal_output gfxterm
    fi
    part.

From rebooting from USB medium, it simply loaded. Thanks for the grub hints