Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games on Virtual Box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Games on Virtual Box

I wish to install Ubuntu 12.1 on another partition and use it just for gaming. I tried installing Lubuntu > VirtualBox > Xp > Need For Speed / Blazing Angles but non of them worked. Getting several errors like Registery error. Or some write protect / can not write error. Where i might be going wrong ?

Beans

Re: Games on Virtual Box

Virtualbox uses emulated graphics drivers, the performance will be fairly bad no matter what. I don't recommend it unless it's a very old game.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    Virtualbox uses emulated graphics drivers, the performance will be fairly bad no matter what. I don't recommend it unless it's a very old game.
    So what is the solution ? Here the problem is not bad performance. The problem is its not running at all after installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The other problem with a Virtual environment is that the memory map is different than you will see in a standard Windows XP install. Especially in games written for performance, they make use of undocumented system calls and strange areas of memory which can be broken if used virtually.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    The other problem with a Virtual environment is that the memory map is different than you will see in a standard Windows XP install. Especially in games written for performance, they make use of undocumented system calls and strange areas of memory which can be broken if used virtually.
    But what is the solution ? So many people are playing games on Linux. Many claim most of the games can be played. So what is going wrong in my case ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Some Windows games can be installed and played on a Linux distro using Wine.

Wine is not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer. Try it out, some games work perfectly, other's don't work well or even install at all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    Some Windows games can be installed and played on a Linux distro using Wine.

Wine is not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer. Try it out, some games work perfectly, other's don't work well or even install at all.

Well, Blazing Angles did not work in both Virtual Box and Wine but NFS Hot persuit did not work in Virtual Box but worked in wine.

Beans

Virtualbox is usually a dead end for any game that requires 3D acceleration. You're much better off with a combination of Steam for Linux (still in closed beta but you can get in if you check the stickied threads), the Humble Indie Bundles, WINE, and PlayOnLinux.
    ---------------
    http://the-board.info/

My site. Come visit me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

for windows games windows is best. so in this case dual boot would do fine for games that do not run in linux. else oyu need to use wine. they have application database. and sometime you need to tweak or install some addons to make them work. just dont' expect everything to work. games with rating Gold and above are what you are looking for.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I hear that VMware has vastly superior graphics performance over virtualbox and would be a much better choice for playing games on. Only problem is that it's not free and open source like Vbox. Something I do if I have to run windows software is boot windows eight via USB. I got the beta before they took it down.

If I were you though I'd be saving my money for Valve's and other publishers games when their available for the penguin via steam. Beta's already out, not far off now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast