Thread: Dual Monitors in Ubuntu 12.10 - forced to use Mirror Display

Beans

Dual Monitors in Ubuntu 12.10 - forced to use Mirror Display

I've got a second monitor attached to my Ubuntu/Win7 dual-boot machine now. The second monitor wasn't working in Ubuntu so I upgraded from 12.04LTS to 12.10 to see if it would fix it. It has, but now whenever I have both monitors enabled, Mirror Display automatically comes enabled. Also, I seem to be stuck using gross-looking 4:3 ratio resolutions (one of the monitors is a 4:3 monitor but the other is 16:9).

Is it possible to use both monitors and have a different display on each? Do I need to install additional drivers or something? I want to have my main work environment on the main monitor and things like IM clients and twitter clients on the second monitor so I can see if anyone's trying to get in touch with me without tabbing around.

edit: and to add insult to injury, I seem to have disabled my launcher from showing up on either monitor entirely and I can't get it to come back.
    Last edited by Paperypip; November 8th, 2012 at 02:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dual Monitors in Ubuntu 12.10 - forced to use Mirror Display

I was just poking around on another issue, and I ran across this, see if it helps:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaMultiMonitors
    hth <== BDQ

Beans

Re: Dual Monitors in Ubuntu 12.10 - forced to use Mirror Display

I was trying a few things I read in another thread and then accidentally kicked the power cable out of my computer. Plugged it back in and started things up and everything was fixed and how I wanted it to be and I'm not precisely sure why, since I didn't finish what I was doing before.

Guess I'll mark this solved, though I wish I understood what exactly was going wrong and how I fixed it so I could leave this thread more helpful for people in the future.