Thread: Widgets framework

Beans

Lightbulb Widgets framework

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I couldn't find other threads on the subject.

I have followed Unity development in the last years and I must say that I'm satisfied with the ever-improving experience it has been delivering. However, one feature that has made it way into other OSs (and KDE) and that I can't find on unity is native widget support.

Unity has taken bulky UI out of the desktop, but I really wish I could use this freed screen space to display email, news, calendar, weather and such, just like one could easily do on Android.

I know there are solutions like conky or screenlets, but they are not part of the unity experience, and most average users probably won't even find out about them. This fragmentation additionally may make widget development much less appealing to developers.

If Canonical wants to deliver a desktop that adapts to users' needs and become a larger player on desktops and tablets (and this is specially true for tablets), I think that a framework for widget development is a must have for unity. This way we could ease widget development and have a nice end-user experience, with consistent widget behavior and configuration, or possibly a section devoted to them on the application center.

Are there any existing solutions or projects in this sense? Has this issue already been debated to any conclusion? has Canonical said something about it? Are there any plans to support widgets on future releases or on the Ubuntu SDK?
    Last edited by pedro6893; November 8th, 2012 at 02:26 AM.

Beans

Re: Widgets framework

"Aside from new lenses and other features coming to the Unity desktop during the Ubuntu 13.04 development cycle, Canonical will also be making a push for widgets to happen on Ubuntu's Unity desktop.

A widget mechanism with a formal Unity widget API will be delivered for Ubuntu 13.04. There's still lots of decisions to be made, such as whether these widgets will be constructed in HTML5/JavaScript or Qt, but more details should be forthcoming in the near future."

Widgets are coming to the unity desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Widgets framework

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
    No, you are not posting this in the right place. This kind of topic should go in the Community Cafe section of the forum.

This section of the forum is for those running the development release of Ubuntu, that is the next release while it is under development. We have no more influence over the direction that Ubuntu is going in than you do.

Our sources of information are the same sources of information that are available to anyone.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530