Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synaptic will not start from menu, software center will not install/remove programs.

Beans

Cool Synaptic will not start from menu, software center will not install/remove programs.

Hey forum,

I've just freshly installed Xubuntu 12.04. I was using the update manager installing all the recommended updates and it asked me to reboot when it was done. After rebooting back in Xubuntu 12.04, I cannot launch Synaptic from the XFCE menu (under System) I also cannot install or remove any programs in the Ubuntu Software Center. If I try install VLC Media player for example, I click "install" and on the left of the install button where it says "free" it quickly says installing, then back to free. It does nothing.

Synaptic does launch from this terminal code:

gksudo synaptic &

When it launches, the following appears in the terminal: [1] 2540

But I want it working from the XFCE Menu.

Can anybody help? It's much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Synaptic will not start from menu, software center will not install/remove progra

Quote Originally Posted by MeguhNad View Post
    Hey forum,

I've just freshly installed Xubuntu 12.04. I was using the update manager installing all the recommended updates and it asked me to reboot when it was done. After rebooting back in Xubuntu 12.04, I cannot launch Synaptic from the XFCE menu (under System) I also cannot install or remove any programs in the Ubuntu Software Center. If I try install VLC Media player for example, I click "install" and on the left of the install button where it says "free" it quickly says installing, then back to free. It does nothing.

Synaptic does launch from this terminal code:

gksudo synaptic &

When it launches, the following appears in the terminal: [1] 2540

But I want it working from the XFCE Menu.

Can anybody help? It's much appreciated.
    What happens if you run a regular update from the terminal any errors?

Or the vlc install from the terminal.

Beans

Re: Synaptic will not start from menu, software center will not install/remove progra

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    What happens if you run a regular update from the terminal any errors?

Or the vlc install from the terminal.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the terminal install works fine. No issues there.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the terminal install works fine. No issues there.
    You can purge both the software center and synaptic and reinstall them I believe. There was a problem earlier with the software center opening in the development with a error in a particular file.

Beans

You can purge both the software center and synaptic and reinstall them I believe. There was a problem earlier with the software center opening in the development with a error in a particular file.

Aha. This command lets me install software in the software center:
    sudo software-centerVery confused.

What code would I use to purge and re-install both the synaptic package manager and the software center?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes I would try that. Purge both and then re-install. Just know when you go to purge the software centre it will also say it's removing ubuntu-desktop...don't be alarmed as this is just a meta-package and does nothing on it's own and will re-install.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro

Aha. This command lets me install software in the software center:
    sudo software-centerVery confused.

What code would I use to purge and re-install both the synaptic package manager and the software center?
    synaptic would be.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge synaptic
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge software-center
    then for both to reinstall
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install "app"
    I notice though that the software center has a file in .config in home you might try deleting that first and see if that fixes the software center problem.

Beans

Cool Re: Synaptic will not start from menu, software center will not install/remove progra

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    Yes I would try that. Purge both and then re-install. Just know when you go to purge the software centre it will also say it's removing ubuntu-desktop...don't be alarmed as this is just a meta-package and does nothing on it's own and will re-install.
    Just re-installed both and it has not fixed them.

I've also just found out that I can't change my account type.

As I can't change my account type, and I can install software when running the software center as "su" could this be an issue with my account?

If so, I have no clue what I can do to fix it.

Beans
    Distro

Just re-installed both and it has not fixed them.

I've also just found out that I can't change my account type.

As I can't change my account type, and I can install software when running the software center as "su" could this be an issue with my account?

If so, I have no clue what I can do to fix it.
    You do not want to change the account type, is it an admin as of now?

Beans

You do not want to change the account type, is it a admin as of now?
    In User Settings, my account is called a "Custom account" I cannot change my account type or access the "Advanced setting" but I can change my password and account name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast