Thread: Ubuntu won't boot

Beans

Ubuntu won't boot

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and Ubuntu. I have a HP laptop TX1127 that has what I believe is a corrupt IOS (Vista). Anyway I was advised to download Ubuntu and to load it on the LP to see if it would boot. I have a new laptop as well and tried it there first and sure enough it came right up. When I put it in my HP nothing. I tried restarting several times. I can hear and see the lights on the DVD drive but thats it. I'm not much of a computer geek more of a network gut. Any advise would be more than appreciated.
    Bob

Beans

Re: Ubuntu won't boot

If it's the live disk (I'm assuming), when the options come up like 'Install Ubuntu' or 'Try Ubuntu', hit F6 to bring up your options, select nomodeset and hit enter.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't get any display, just a blank/black screen

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

BobMo; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a problem for sure, ok ..can you even get BIOS to come up in the HP lap top ?
    and if so, do you have the capability to boot from a usb device ?

just try'n to help <== BDQ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If I understand you correctly the Ubuntu Live DVD works fine in one machine but not in another. Now, there could be something wrong with that TX1127. What makes you think that it could have a corrupt BIOS? And what makes you think that it could be cured by installing Ubuntu on it?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks for the replies! I was told my IOS was corrupt a year ago so I bought a new laptop and put this in the garage. A couple days ago my 7 yo son found it and asked if I could get it working so he could use it. I asked around about replacing the IOS and was tols to try Ubuntu. That is what led me to this point but I think there is more going on than a bad IOS since I can't even get to the bios. Maybe video/motherboard???

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

well, a new battery for CMOS is cheap. As the computer has been around for a while, I bet that battery has never been changed. Might be all that is needed is an energy source ?

With out BIOS, there is nothing !
    still try'n to help <== BDQ