Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - First thoughts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Windows 8 - First thoughts

yesterday I bought a copy of Windows 8 to give it a try, and well to be honest I do keep a version of windows in a VM for the odd windows only program and for Netflix (I wish they would support linux but I know they won't) and needed a "legitimate copy"

Now I don't consider myself a novice user by any measure, having used windows, Mac's and Linux. And I have to admit I really didn't like the loss of the familiar XP look of Gnome2 when Gnome3 and Unity came out. But I am realy happy with my gnome-shell / cairo-Dock setup. with that said I have very mixed feeling about this new Win8 interface.

On a VM its a little difficult to use, but no more so than Unity or Gnome-shell with hot corners and all. But what I really don't like is the use of the metro start screen (not even sure what to call that) with their windows 7ish desktop. Gone are the familiar menus of old, and in their place is a series of tiles which at first glance lack any real organization. At least with Unity and Gnome-shell applicatoins are still categorized and I can search through them to find what I want. My real complaint is that you have to use a lot of clicking and extra mouse movements to get to the start screen, which seem to make more sense for a touch screen than a mouse and keyboard.

My first thought was that MS got it wrong, no one is going to use a hybrid OS, and although the industry says the desktop market is in decline, I think really? Try to type your dissertation on a tablet without a keyboard. And that's when it hit me, have they got it right? Is the future not a desktop or a tablet, but a frankensystem that functions as either depending on how use it? Are tablet only OS's doomed to ultimatly fail? Are desktip only systems doomed to fail (servers excluded)?

How would my beloved system work in such an environment? Could it make the switch from a table to a desktop as easily as Win8?

Just stuff to think aobut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Windows 8 - First thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by cybergalvez View Post
    Just stuff to think aobut
    Tiles... that's what Microsoft is thinking about and betting the farm on

Beans

I haven't used Win 8 yet, or even much thought about it. I have Win 7 on a machine already and Win XP in a VM on this one pretty much for watching Netflix.

I know I don't much like that My First Computer desktop big button thing it has going on. It may have its uses on mobile devices, or touch screens, but I can't see desktop or laptop users being enamored with it. I've heard you can go back to the tradional Win desktop but it's not quite the same. It seems it doesn't have the Start button any more.

I dunno. Doesn't do much for me. I'll pass. Win 7 on my other machine is fine. It will be fine for a long, long time.

Beans

I have been using Win 8 on one of my machines for 6 days, I have to say it is a very stable, polished and very very useable Operating system.

Microsoft definitely have a winner with this and their Surface and Win 8 phones. I believe they have raised the bar in the last week.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Good to hear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've had XP since 2002 and of course the others before that. XP was a jump from the old ones. I found that as screens got larger, the start menu got harder to navigate for me. As in, moving the pointer to the popout to select something and not losing it, requiring a do over. I had a desktop full of shortcuts to avoid the start menu.

I keep trying Ubuntu, but something always irritates me and I go back to windows. Then windows irritates me and I miss something about Ubuntu. Unity and the dash really got my attention. Quick and with big icons to click on.

I installed Windows 8, use the tile UI like the dash and launcher, use the desktop like I always did. All my windows software works.

I don't use a computer at home for work or a business.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Uncle Spellbinder.
    Perhaps they need a new boot-loader for that tiling desktop....'grout' (GRand Operating-system Unified Throwback)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I have been using Win 8 on one of my machines for 6 days, I have to say it is a very stable, polished and very very useable Operating system.

Microsoft definitely have a winner with this and their Surface and Win 8 phones. I believe they have raised the bar in the last week.
    I knew they had a winner when the developer preview of Win 8 was more stable than my 12.04 LTS installation...

But yes, Win 8 is pretty cool. I'm still not sold on some of the behaviour, but I do like the live tiles.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

much like unity, I find the new windows 8 cumbersum to use . There arent' any categories to sort through except on the desktop (for Windows), unity I have to click on one side of the screen, click on the bottom of the screen, and then click on the total opposite side of the screen to get my programs sorted into categories.
    Like I said, with Windows it's now become cumbersome to have all the widgets piled up in one place.

Call me old fashioned but I still enjoy a good old fashioned category menu which is a single click access from the desktop. With Windows and Gnome heading in the direction of smartphones, I'm going to have to find something else. the MATE project is good but a LOT of the icons are missing which REALLY degrades the desktop experience. Anywho, I'm glad Windows is considering a new direction with it's image. I wish them well. Perhaps it's a new generation thing that I just don't have the mind for anymore. In which case they should sell well. NOT hating on Windows or Unity, just giving my perspective of some things which have changed in the computer world which make it a little more difficult (for me) to use.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast